zok's award winning mead recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
zok's sweet mead recipe

( all temps in Fahrenheit)

mix 15 lbs of quality honey with water into a kettle to a TOTAL volume of 5gallons.

mix and slowly bring the temp to 170 deg. (pasteurization temp.)

hold at that temp for 20 mins to kill bad junk.

cover kettle and immerse whole thing in cool water to chill to 75 deg.

add 5 teaspoons each of acid blend and yeast nutrient mix

pitch the yeast (recommended a yeast starter of at least 1 liter)

***to make a starter yeast....
boil 1 cup of corn sugar or dry malt with a liter of water for 15 mins.
chill to 75 deg. and transfer to a sanitized container (half gallon wine jug works well) with an airlock attached. add the yeast and mix vigorously.
you need to do this at least 2 days before mead making day.***

conduct the primary fermentation for 3 months @ 65-75 deg.

transfer to a secondary carboy. and leave at the same temp.^^

this second transfer may take a long time. (6 months or more) be patient, honey is a slow fermenter.

check if the fermentation is complete by doing a specific gravity, recording it and do it again in 2 weeks. if there is no change the mead is ready to bottle. if there is a change then wait 2 more weeks and do another gravity reading.

remember...be patient.

also some side notes.....
poor quality honey = poor tasting mead.
if you bottle it too soon it will have carbononization
wait for clarification...hazy looking mead will probably taste ok, but look like ****.
sanitize your equipment!!
you can try different types of honey, or honey/fruit/spice combination for different tasting meads....
i used a brand of honey called orange blossom honey. it was delish!
try getting the honey from a local honey place, or a home brew store.
....not the grocery store
this is where i got my supplies and honey.
Zok's Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

that's it....have fun...
TC

Thanks for the recipe -- I've had Zok's mead, and it's fantastic. I'll be trying this soon.

I left CT 2 years ago, and deeply miss Zok's tasting sessions, advice and criticism...

--Matthew

no... this is zok's personal recipe he thought up, that has won 1st place several times.

and....it tastes much better than any i have sampled.

if you follow it, and make it, and have made mead before, you will see and taste the difference.

true story.

Thanx for the quick answer. I may have to put this on deck for an early summer brewing.

@ Zen_Brew

conduct the primary fermentation for 3 months @ 65-75 deg.

transfer to a secondary carboy. and leave at the same temp.^^

this second transfer may take a long time. (6 months or more) be patient, honey is a slow fermenter.

check if the fermentation is complete by doing a specific gravity, recording it and do it again in 2 weeks. if there is no change the mead is ready to bottle. if there is a change then wait 2 more weeks and do another gravity reading.

remember...be patient.

also some side notes.....
poor quality honey = poor tasting mead.
if you bottle it too soon it will have carbononization
wait for clarification...hazy looking mead will probably taste ok, but look like ****.

I have about 25 ounces left of my last batch. Need to start another.

It stuck at 1.020 so I bottled it sweet and flat. Fermentation restarted in the bottle (of course) so it's VERY fizzy.

I returned about a gallon to a small fermenter and after it stopped aged half in oak.

WOW!

Back