sorghum malt supplier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will totally agree with this and based on all the stuff I read last night, the removal of the shoots and rootlets seem to solve the problem. :off: FYI- apparently this cyanide problem is prevalent in a lot of other fruit and vegetables, but it is in such a miniscule amount and we are so used to it that it does not matter.

I feel much better about trying my hand at this and not worrying about producing something poisonous. Seems like BBBF is pretty confident in this and I'll listen to him as I've seen some good advice from him in the past.

I'm not overly interested in removing any roots from those tiny grains. I think, even with roots on, the levels will be acceptable given that I'm just going to mash it. All this is presuming these grains will even sprout. If raw hulled buckwheat will not sprout then raw hulled sorghum grain might not either, in which case it will just be a toasted addition.

Subscribed. I have brewed a couple brews with the Syrup for my GF GF, and the second one seems like it will be good (a Belgian Tripel), but I would like to do something a little more complex.

I went on the same search as you about a month or two ago and ended up giving up for the time being and using the syrup and experimenting with Beers that already had GF adjuncts in it.

I know Sorghum makes a great base for GF beer, but is there another grain we can use instead? What about using a different type of corn that can convert on its own? Also, what about using some sort of rice instead to help the conversion?

Just some ideas I thought I would throw out there...

I meant to reply to this earlier. If you get dry corn and malt it yourself it would make a nice smooth drink. Most of us use the flaked maise instead (and thus inlies the problem of converting those corn starches to sugars). Same deal with rice I believe. Both those grains (malted corn excluded) need to have their starches converted by another grain with enough enzyme to do all the work. Thus barley malt which can convert its own starchs, corn, and rice into fermentable sugars. But barley malt is not GF so your GF GF can't drink those. GF malt extract will not convert corn or rice so we need a GF grain that can assist with the work. I've tried the amylase enzyme on its on with no success in converting corn but I think that with a buckwheat malted grain (or sorghum grain) and some amylase enzyme to boost it I might be able to concoct a variety of beers that don't taste like molasses. Just a thought.

I meant to reply to this earlier. If you get dry corn and malt it yourself it would make a nice smooth drink. Most of us use the flaked maise instead (and thus inlies the problem of converting those corn starches to sugars). Same deal with rice I believe. Both those grains (malted corn excluded) need to have their starches converted by another grain with enough enzyme to do all the work. Thus barley malt which can convert its own starchs, corn, and rice into fermentable sugars. But barley malt is not GF so your GF GF can't drink those. GF malt extract will not convert corn or rice so we need a GF grain that can assist with the work. I've tried the amylase enzyme on its on with no success in converting corn but I think that with a buckwheat malted grain (or sorghum grain) and some amylase enzyme to boost it I might be able to concoct a variety of beers that don't taste like molasses. Just a thought.

Good stuff, keep fighting the good fight guys. I'll see if I can figure out what path Deschutes took, as their GF beer actually tastes a hell of a lot like a normal ESB.

If you get dry corn and malt it yourself it would make a nice smooth drink. Most of us use the flaked maise instead (and thus inlies the problem of converting those corn starches to sugars). Same deal with rice I believe. Both those grains (malted corn excluded) need to have their starches converted by another grain with enough enzyme to do all the work. Thus barley malt which can convert its own starchs, corn, and rice into fermentable sugars. But barley malt is not GF so your GF GF can't drink those. GF malt extract will not convert corn or rice so we need a GF grain that can assist with the work. I've tried the amylase enzyme on its on with no success in converting corn but I think that with a buckwheat malted grain (or sorghum grain) and some amylase enzyme to boost it I might be able to concoct a variety of beers that don't taste like molasses. Just a thought.

I found this in Lost Crops of Africa: Grains By National Research Council (U.S.) Board on Science and Technology for International Development
Of all the world's ceral grains, finger millet is second only to barley in its ability to hydrolyze starches ("malting power").

There is some stuff written on probrewer.com about converting sorghum, and it sounds like bigger brewers use enzymes like sorgainase and they seem to favor using raw sorghum.
Sorghum ale? - ProBrewer Interactive
I know from what I've read that sorghum is used in africa in the production of normal clear beers, but I don't yet know how they do it. When making the traditional opaque beer, they mash with another grain.
Sorghum Beer
In this recipe, they use unmalted millet, but may be malted millet was also used, which could have enough diastatic power to convert both...

Disclaimer- I've had a few Apfelweins!!! :drunk:

Ok, you know how it gets when you think you may have found something you've been looking for and you ask a question and have to wait 24+ hours for the answer? That's exactly what is going on right now.

I think I may have found a source for sorghum malt. Granted it is from Australia and they may not ship to the U.S.- that is what my question was about!- you can order it from them and even have it milled.

IF I get a positive response, I will give you the link!

Consider this a teaser of some sort. Til I find out, looks like we all have to wait :cross:

EDIT: It's 3:07 PM on a Friday afternoon there, might have to wait til Sunday/Monday to find out

Hi, I'm new here and I've been lurking reading up on all the great information. While I was looking for prices on a 50lb bag of malted barley; I found a link off my LHBS's website for whole grain sorghum. I came across this thread while trying to figure out what the heck sorghum is. I'm not sure what the shipping costs are, but its $15 for a 30lb bucket (free pail).

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I thought I would pass it along.

http://www.twinvalleymills.com/

Hi, I'm new here and I've been lurking reading up on all the great information. While I was looking for prices on a 50lb bag of malted barley; I found a link off my LHBS's website for whole grain sorghum. I came across this thread while trying to figure out what the heck sorghum is. I'm not sure what the shipping costs are, but its $15 for a 30lb bucket (free pail).

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I thought I would pass it along.

Looks like its sorghum flour, I don't think that's much use...unless I wasn't really looking at the website :drunk:

You're right, I just emailed them to confirm that it is in fact the whole grain. It looks like they use the tan variety and Im not sure if that can be substituted for the white in malting...dunno but I guess I'll find out.

They use the tan variety to produce white grains and they DO in fact sell whole grains. For 30# at only $15 plus shipping!! I just placed an order :rockin:

Looks like I'll be malting some and roasting the rest.

They use the tan variety to produce white grains and they DO in fact sell whole grains. For 30# at only $15 plus shipping!! I just placed an order :rockin:

Looks like I'll be malting some and roasting the rest.

How much did you buy and what was your total cost?

This is the best deal I've seen! It beats the price of Bob's Red mill, $2-$3 per pound...

I sent an email to a guy in South Africa hoping that I could get some of the seed used to make beer there so I could grow my own. He has something to doing with a brewing program dedicated to sorghum beer at a local college. I was under the impression that red sorghum was traditionally used (and had to be...) He sent me this reply:
You can make Sorghum Malt from any Sorghum grain as long as it can sprout (germinate). The parameters for malting Sorghum are a bit different from Barley, re higher steeping and germination temperatures. To send seed from Africa will be too much trouble. The Sorghum grain used for animal feed will do fine.

Anyway, it was encouraging, especially now that someone's found a cheap source of sorghum!

How much did you buy and what was your total cost?

I bought 30lbs worth for $15...as of now I don't know what my total costs are. They don't accept credit card right now so I will be getting an invoice with my package. It looks like they are out of Nebraska and according to UPS, my package will probably cost about $20 to ship...so overall about $35 for 30 lbs sorghum grain.

Better than $2.50/lb + shipping for the Shiloh Farms grain I've seen

Just got my package today...I ordered it last friday and it was shipped on the 29th, they must not process orders everyday. Anyways, here are some pics, then I'll get to the cost :D

It came in a bucket
Sorghum_001.JPG

These things are a lot smaller than I thought they would be
Sorghum_002.JPG

Here's a close-up
Sorghum_003.JPG

So- I got a free bucket out of this and a ton of sorghum, well 30 lbs.

Drum roll please.

Grains $15
Shipping $17.36

Total $32.36

That's $1.08/lb!! Awesome :rockin:

hahaha I have no idea, I'm looking around to see what others have posted as far as some instructions but from some of the research I've done I'll soak it for a few days, rinsing every 4-8 hours then let it germinate. After that I'll dry it, throw it in the dryer to get rid of the rootlets and such then roast it. After that I should be able to mash it like 2 row, I'm guessing, but you have to use a decoction mash to get the startches to convert because sorghum has such a high gelatinization temp.

hmmmm .... i have a buddy that is from south africa. He gave me a recipe for sorghum beer out of like a cookbook past down from the 30s or 40s. I dont remember how it said to handle the sorghum but I remember it had a lot of sugar in it. I will find it and see if I can add anything.

I'm excited that someone is going to get their hands dirty and go ahead and give malting a try. Here are some notes I've found by searching google books which pertain to utilizing sorghum:

From Handbook of Brewing page 173, "Sorghum malt starch has a gelatinizing temperature of 64 - 68 degrees C (147-154 degrees F) , 10 degrees higher than that of barley." I think the problem is that the temperature which gelatanizes sorghum's starches also denatures the necessary enzymes.

From Lost Crops of Africa: Grains By National Research Council (U.S.) Board on Science and Technology for International Development page 49, "Of all the world's ceral grains, finger millet is second only to barley in its ability to hydrolyze starches ('malting power')."
This is interesting because millet is also gluten free... May be it can be utilized to help convert sorghum. I think some of the South African opaque beers call for millet as an ingredient.

From Handbook of Brewing: Processes, Technology, Markets by Hans Michael Esslinger
Favorable malting parameters are achieved at temperatures between 24 and 26 degrees C (75-79 degrees F), which facilitate the growth of molds, however. Addition of a 0.375% mixture of borax and boric acid to soft water reduced the germ number of mold significantly.
Sorghum malts differ from barley malts in their higher gelatinization temperatures and reduced diastatic power, which can be attributed to lower B-amylase activities, while A-amylase activity at least equals that of barley malt. They are characterized by very low protein contents that might even decrease further during storage and result in diminished concentrations of soluble protein in the wort. Although the raw protein content of sorghum compares to that of barley, it can be only partially degraded into smaller fragments during mashing (as the prolamines of the Panicoideae subfamily differ from that of the Pooideae subfamily). Accordingly, the amino acid composition of wort polypeptides differs between barley and sorghm malts. However, FAN levels are in the normal range. A minimum of 5 germination days is required during malting of sorghum to ensure sufficient soluble nitrogen concentrations in the wort. This extension of the germination combined with a significantly increased degree of steeping results in elevated levels of dissolved pentosans. Therefore, the viscosity of sorghum-derived worts is slightly elevated as compared with barley malts. Moreover, sorghum malts exhibit only low diastatic activities, resulting in long saccharification times.

From Sorghum: Origin, History, Technology and Production By C. Wayne Smith, Richard A. Frederiksen page 165,
Sorghum malt traditionally is prepared at the household level by soaking or steeping the grain for 16 to 18 hours, draining, and then spreading the grain on dampened mats. The mats are covered with damp sacks and the grain is left to germinate, preferably in a darkened place, with intermittent moistening of the sacks and turning of the grain. Malting is carried out in the open or on soil platforms bordering the house. Germination is complete within 3 to 5 days and the malted grain is ready for sun drying and grinding to powder on grinding stones.
Treating with wood ash page 166
In Uganda, a traditional process used to improve the palatability of high-tannin sorghums was reported by Mukuru (1992). Cleaned sorghum grain is mixed with a slurry of wood ash. The treated grain is soaked overnight, drained, and malted. Malted grain is dried, pounded , winnowed to remove the pericarp, and ground to flour.This traditional processing, involving the addition of alkaline wood ash, significantly reduces the adverse nutritional effects of tannin in the grain and malt, and improves both protein availability and digestibility.

Sorry if this is kind of long, but I thought it might be helpful...

Chinese hard liquor (baijiu) is made almost exclusively out of sorghum. Sorghum is steamed and put in a pit dug in the ground. Then they sprinkle a bunch of dry yeast on top and cover the pit with mud and let it ferment in the grains for a month. Then they uncover it, dig the grains out, and steam them again, this time collecting the steam, which is something like 60% alcohol. Then they put the grains back in the pit and repeat the process several times until the alcohol content of the steam is around 40%.

I don't think they malt the grains before steaming them initially, and I don't understand where in the process the starches in the grains get broken down into sugars that the yeast can eat, but maybe this description would be useful to someone who knows a little bit more about the science than I do. I'm definitely interested in figuring out how to brew with sorghum, although from what I've heard it gets extremely sticky when heated and results in stuck mashes if you're not careful.

Greetings from Argentine
I'm a craft maltster and make sorghum malt, this 2016 i will process 15:000kg, and wil process 20.000kg in 2017
When i started to make this malt, 2 micro-breweries of sorghum beer started here: Straus from Rosario (Santa Fe state) & Antigua from La Plata (Buenos Aires state)
Makes a nice pale ale. Home brewers usually make beer with divided mash (Schmitz technique), micro-breweries use enzymes because its more easy when procesing large volumes
Excuse me for a poor english
Satu
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back