Simcoe Assault IPA with No Chill and video critique of the beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
Here is my recipe for a Simcoe IPA that I just brewed. It was my first chill batch which is a method I have been dying to try. I have also included a video of me tasting and critiquing the beer as well. Let me know what you think and what I could have done differently.

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/20/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Chris
Boil Size: 6.34 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Chris Setup
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.84 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.58 %
0.65 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.58 %
2.00 oz Simcoe [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 43.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.50 %] (40 min) Hops 34.3 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle California Ale Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.50 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 77.4 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 11.65 lb
Sparge Water: 2.89 gal Grain Temperature: 69.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.2 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 14.56 qt of water at 170.5 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 5.83 qt of water at 210.4 F 168.0 F

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 21.6 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

No chill brewing. First wort hop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the indepth video. Based on the recipe, like you said, add more crystal and mash a little higher. Also,Id drop the munich and go with just crystal 40-60 and about 1.5#.

Like the indepth video. Based on the recipe, like you said, add more crystal and mash a little higher. Also,Id drop the munich and go with just crystal 40-60 and about 1.5#.

Yeah that would probably be the subtraction I would make. Thanks for the suggestion! Id probably use Crystal 60 to give it more mouth feel as well.

I copied down the ingredients and bought them before I got a chance to view the video and the comments, becuz I forgot where I saw the recipe (that's the problem with having to come into town to get on the net!),We don't have an LHBS here which means travelling another hour away to pick up the crystal that's recommended by arneba. Oh, well ...... I'll just follow the original recipe, but I've got an extra 1/2 lb of smoked malt left over from another brew, so I'll add that and see what happens! (Can't keep grains around here unless it's in metal containers ........ attracts the mice and rats!)
Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a spin :mug:

I went ahead and went back to the LHBS for the other grains ..... found an LHBS closer, and bought .5 lb 110 caramalt and .5 lb caramel crystal. I was going to add .5 lb raw cane sugar, but forgot it in the turmoil. I was using the brand new thermometer that came with my Bayou Classic 8 gal pot (first time I used the pot and thermo was for this brew!).
Mash went haywire, new thermometer went bonkers and read 150F, but I had just bought an electric one from the grocery store (has a timer and beeper alarm to tell me when the time is up); the electronic thermo read 190F, so I had accidentally cooked it!
I let the temp go down to 163F and started the timer for a 90 min mash. When that was done, it had got down to 147F. Then I started the boil, and boiled it for 2 hrs .... I'm used to brewing dark beers and waited for it to go black - dummy :eek: :eek: ! I'm thinking it's going to be OK tho, becuz the OG was 1.076 - after a 90 min mash, 120 min boil. I thought I'd try out some English Ale Yeast, so this batch is using Nottingham Ale Yeast. Don't know what kinds of difference it will make in the end product, I usually use the cheapest yeast I can get; but I've been wanting to try out the Nottingham. It's percolatin' like crazy in the primary right now, will do the 2nd next Friday .... will bottle after a couple or 3 weeks for a 30 day conditioning. I usually taste a bottle after the secondary (flat and green I know, but I like to know what it might taste like), so IF I can remember to update then, I'll let you know what I think. I don't know a lot of the 'tasting notes' stuff, I just make beer because I like to drink it, but my son seems to know a bit about that, so when it's aged and conditioned, I'll try to remember to come back and tell you what he thinks. I have a lousy sense of taste unless it's real bitter and spicy, and NO sense of smell unless I drive over a skunk - I can't smell the beer or wine, so that's pretty much out unless it's really pungent.
IF this turns out good, I'll probably make another real soon, becuz it's going to be really hoppy, since I'm going to dry hop for the full secondary, and, as we all know "A Hoppy Beer is a Happy Beer."
2 cases of beer only lasts a month or so, so I need to make a new brew about every 3 weeks to keep myself stocked up!
The wife took the grains and dried most of them for spent-grain flour, froze some for whole grain breads, cookies and cakes she'll be cooking, fed some to the chickens, and since there was another quart of drain-off over nite, she added that to some chicken soup she's making. Since she has found a lot of spent-grain recipes on the net, she doesn't gripe near as much about my grain purchases at the LHBS!
I don't get back here too often, since we have to drive all the way in to town for the internet, but I'll try to check in every so often in case anyone has any advice. My first brew was many years ago, but that don't mean I can't learn something from everyone else!
MT2sum

Obviously, I forgot this thread! Sorry :( Since posting that, I've made 2 more "Simcoe Assaults." It's a good IPA for me. I took some to a party/picnic after church and everyone liked it really well. The minister gave it rave reviews - and he only drinks N/A's as a rule! Anyways, I like the recipe, and am planning another in the coming weeks.
Thanks!!
I've done a little adjusting here and there probably, but this is what I've got in my BeerSmith recipe.
13 lb 1.8 oz NW Pale
1 lb 15 oz Crystal 60
14 oz Crystal 40
1.14 oz Simcoe (FWH)
1.14 oz Simcoe @ 40 min
1 oz Simcoe @ 5 min
2 oz Simcoe Leaf hops @ Dry Hop for 3 days in Secondary
2 pkt US-05
Irish Moss
Yeast Nutrient
Lewistown, MT water (99.9% pure [supposedly])
7 day Primary, 14 day Secondary, Bottle condition for 30 days
OG 1075, FG 1020, IBU 76.6, SRM 15.2, ABV 7.3%
Enjoy, I do!

PS: I do chill my brews!

Just put the above recipe into my new BS2.2 .... it's all off?? I had got the Crystal 40 & 60 turned around in this post (NOT in my recipe though), that should only affect the SRM, I think.
I now show OG 1.080, FG 1015, IBU 93.2, 14.8 SRM and 8.6% ABV (Actually, it feels more like a 6.5-7% ABV, but who am I to dispute?) - dunno what's changed between the old BS and the new one, but I'll continue to use the same old recipe, it's a good IPA for me!

Back