Scottish Pumpkin Ale Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
Here is what I'm thinking for a Scottish Pumpkin Ale I plan on brewing this weekend. The base beer is a 60 -/ Scottish ale. This is partial mash.

Grain bill:
3 lbs 6-Row Malt
1/2 lbs Crystal 120L
1/2 lbs Crystal 40L
1/4 lbs Chocolate malt
4 oz flaked wheat
2.75 lbs extra light DME

1.5 oz Fuggle hops at 60 mins

3 15 oz cans pumpkin
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 vanilla bean

Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast

I'm shooting for an original gravity of 1.035, and a FG of 1.011

The plan:
Bake the canned pumpkin at 350* for 45 minutes to caramelize it.
Put 2/3 of the pumpkin in the mash with my grains; mash at 155* for an hour
After mashing and sparging, bring wort to boil, add DME and hops, boil for 1 hour
Add final 1/3 pumpkin and ground spices at 5 minutes left in boil

Ferment in primary for 1 week, transfer to secondary on top of vanilla bean

Secondary for 2 weeks, then bottle with 5 oz corn sugar

Let age until Halloween weekend

Alright, that's the plan. Let the suggestions/critiques begin!

I think that seems pretty tasty! What does flaked wheat do, extra body/head formation?

I'm struggling between going for a 70/- very similar to your recipe or going balls-out for a Wee Heavy and including maple syrup, canned sweet potato, and a tiny bit of smoked malt. Might be a coin flip.

The flaked wheat is supposed to provide a nice creamy head. I just used it for the first time in a pecan brown ale, which I will bottle this weekend and won't get to taste until Thanksgiving, so I'm going on faith with the flaked wheat.

Why are you using the 6 row, if you don't mind me asking? I've only ever used it when I had an extremely high percentage of undermodified malts that wouldn't convert themselves. For this recipe, I think subbing the 6 row for 2 row or better still some Maris Otter or Golden Promise would be the way to go. I think there may be too much hops in there as well. I'm thinking about using my Wee Heavy recipe as a base for a pumpkin beer this year. The current batch is malty and rich without being cloying, and has a real depth of flavor for such a simple grain bill. I'm planning to add a few lbs of roasted pumpkin to the mash, and make a liquor with pumpkin pie spices and vodka or aquavit. For reference:
OG 1.070
FG 1.010
IBU: 35

12# Golden Promise
.5# C80
6oz Victory
2oz Roasted Barley
1 oz Galena@ 60
Wyeast 1728

I was planning on using the 6 Row instead of 2 Row because I read somewhere that Scottish ales should have some 6 Row in them. But of course now I don't remember where I read this. I've never used 6 Row before, but I understand it can can beer a rougher taste. I was hoping that using the extra light DME would help to offset this.

I would go for this,let us know how it turns out,sounds great.

If anyone is interested, here's my final recipe that I went with:

1 lb 6 Row
2 lb Golden Promise
1 lb Crystal 40L
4 oz Chocolate malt
3 oz flaked wheat
2.75 lbs extra light DME

3 15 oz cans organic pumpkin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg
1 vanilla bean

1 oz fuggle hop pellets

Wyeast 1278 Scottish Ale yeast

Roasted the pumpkin at 350* for half an hour, mashed all of it with my grains at ~160*.

It will be in primary for 7 days, then I'll rack into secondary on top of a split vanilla bean for 14 days. I'll let it bottle condition for 4-5 weeks.

My OG ended up being 1.043 (forgot about the pumpkin when I calculated my recipe, but I'm okay with a stronger beer). Target FG is 1.01, for an ABV of about 4.5%

Just opened a bottle of this this past Friday. Next time, I would increase my grain bill a little to make it more malty and cut down the cinnamon to either 1/2 or 3/4 tsp. But it was still pretty tasty.

Back