Dry Yeast equivalent of White Labs Belgian Wit - WLP400?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thievaryx

Reaction score
As title reads, which dry yeast would most closely produce the results of White Labs Belgian Wit - WLP400?

Safale K-97? - A German ale yeast selected for its ability to form a large firm head when fermenting. This top cropping ale yeast is suitable for top fermented beers with low esters levels and can be used for Belgian type wheat beers. Sedimentation: low. Final gravity: low. Recommended fermentation temp range is 59-75F.

T-58 (mentioned above) - A specialty ale yeast selected for its estery, somewhat peppery and spicy flavor.

WB-06 (also mentioned) - This dry wheat beer yeast is a specialty yeast selected for wheat beer fermentation. The yeast claims to produce subtle ester and phenol flavors.

IMHO for belgian yeast choices you're far better off choosing a liquid yeast, or even in the case of WLP400 (hoegaarden strain) getting a bottle of hoegaarden and harvest the yeast.

I've had quite good luck with T-58 in Belgian Wits. WLP400 is fine too, but don't dismiss the dry yeasts.

Though I've never tried it, Brewferm Blanche yeast is indeed aimed at Witbier.

Speaking of which, has anyone used it? If so, how did you like it?

Bob

The SafBrew WB-06 is amazing in Witbiers. It is a true belgian strain, and although I have never tested it against the liquid yeast offerings, the results are great with it. It's a very aromatic yeast, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the equivalent of Wyeast 3944 or 3942.

Back