Belgian IPA with Sriracha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy1015

Reaction score
A homebrew competition recently caught my eye as it had a requirement that the 'wild' category use sriracha, caravienne, and a belgian yeast. I decided to go for it because who doesn't love sriracha right?

I decided to go for a Belgian IPA, figuring maybe the bitterness/taste would offset and work well with the sriracha. Anyway this is my first time making an IPA or using Belgian yeast so I essentially copied the Raging ***** CYBI recipe grain bill but added a small amount of caravienne (actually excited to see how it adds to Raging *****) and I modified the hops per another forum on here. And of course sriracha is added.

It's using WLP 550 Belgian yeast

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Belgian IPA - Sriracha
Brewer: Dan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.76 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 9.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 102.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.2 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.9 %
8.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.9 %
1.00 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 42.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 5 18.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 9.8 IBUs
1.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 15. Hop 7 20.2 IBUs
0.80 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 10.1 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -
0.60 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 1.0 Hop 10 1.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 0.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) [35.49 Yeast 12 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Day Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 24.45 qt of water at 157.6 F 148.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.21gal, 4.28gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
-Added 1 oz sriracha at 10 min in boil
-Add 1 oz sriracha mixed with vodka overnight into secondary

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hit an OG of 1.062 so that's looking good, put it into primary and went out of town for a day, well I came back and this picture greeted me, my first blown top!

I decided to just clean off the rim and top with some starsan and keep on trucking with it (but this time with a blow off tube, I've learned the lesson...blow off tubes from now on)

I got some cheap vodka tonight so I'm going to soak an ounce of sriracha in there and add it to the secondary. Will keep posted on results.

IMAG0173.jpg

That sounds, well, terrible, to be honest. A Belgian, with amarillo hops, with sriracha? Ick. But, if you like it that 's all that matters and it might be interesting to try.

Ha! Definitely no certainty on this end either, decided to go out there a bit for it. Most interested in seeing if the non-spice flavors in the sriracha (like garlic) are strong or get lost

Subscribed! Not sure how the amarillo will do with everything but I love hops and spicy food (especially sriracha!) so who knows.

I would have gone the route of chocolate stout with your restrictions. Maybe use one of the milder belgian yeasts like t-58 and ferment a bit on the colder side.

But I like the fact that you are doing something different and I am interested in the results.

Update:
I soaked 1 ounce of sriracha in vodka the night before transferring to secondary and then racked on top of it. Primary fermentation was a week, secondary 13 days.

OG - 1.065, FG - 1.009

I did half in a keg and half in bottles (trying out just domino cane sugar for first time). I was very pleased with the taste going into the keg, I got sriracha and a slight bit of heat but not much and liked the ipa behind it! We'll see how it does with some more time and carbonation, will update with taste next week!

Hey there! I'm entering the same competition, and doing the sriracha beer too. I did a big ol Belgian Stout. I bottled about 4 of the 5 gallons that I brewed a couple days ago, and put the remaining gallon on some Sriracha, since I don't have high hopes for how that will turn out. I'll probably bottle that gallon later this week.

I'm entering the Belgian Stout on its own (16e) as well as the Sriracha "enhanced" version into the wild card category. Good luck!

That sounds awesome, definitely a good call going half/half and entering in both! Good luck to you too, wish I could try all the different sriracha ones

Any updates on this? I'm about to try a brew with sriacha in it and I'd love to know how this turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back