Anybody Used Tea Leaves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, someone who knows about tea. Sounds like wait a few minutes after flameout and throw it in...

Ya that's definitely the way I'd do it. Probably err on the side of too much rather than too little, as I'm not sure how much of the flavor the yeast will eat up. But definitely don't go longer to try to get more flavor. That will add bitterness. Use more tea leaves for more flavor.

I'd recommend using Darjeeling black tea. That would probably give you the flavor you are looking for. Maybe stay away from strong teas like English breakfast and definitely don't so anything like Irish breakfast. I think adding lemon zest would really work well with this, but another thing to consider is adding an herb called lemongrass.

If I were to do it, I'd put 3 oz of Darjeeling black tea in a few disposable paper tea bags and maybe 1-1.5 oz or so of lemongrass/lemon zest. I'd steep it for 3:50-4:00 minutes at around 200 degrees. Don't go any longer than that. The temperature is a little flexible, but 200 would probably be best. Don't dip below 180 because the black tea leaves won't open up fully to release all of their flavor. Plus, you want it to he hot enough to kill any bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back