13 hop QIPA (AKA Plinyfish Heady 120)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was no carbonation after 6 weeks either. Don't think it's gonna happen, but I still have 4 bottles left so we'll see.

It already used high gravity yeast, plus I pitched enough active champagne yeast (which is high gravity yeast as well) for 5 gallons into 8 bottles. If that isn't going to carbonate it nothing is.

The champagne yeast I don't think I'd as tough as the high gravity. I could be wrong. I was thinking it may benefit from some fresh yeast.

What's your estimated ABV? There is a theoretical limit to solubility of co2 in alcohol solutions that is around 20%. Have you thought about diluting a bottle and seeing if it will carb up that way?

1.150 OG/1.012 FG, ~21% based on the Alternate formula and ~18% based on the Standard formula. I only have 4 bottles left so I'm not going to mess with them. If I do a similar recipe again, I'll probably just keep the OG 10-20 points lower and repitch some active WLP099 at bottling instead to see if that does the trick.

It definitely tastes like an IPA, major fruity hop taste, but it has a syrupy sweet taste that I would say comes from all the attenuated sugar.

At that ABV you won't get much in the way of carbonation even with force carbonation, think champagne :) light fizzy numerous bubbles that disappear, and champagne is only about 12-13% usually. Ever put any though to toning this one down to about 13-15%? then it would be carb-able and you could have more to enjoy. Would still take a lot of time to carb, which would dull the hops, but could be good and carbonated.

I did another QIPA at ~18% using the Tap-A-Draft system. I added bottling sugar to start, and my Tap-A-Draft bottle had no carbonation after a week so I hit it up with a CO2 cartridge and let it sit for another week. It now has great carbonation, but tasted a little sweet. Most of the sweet taste is from attenuated sugar, but it's possible some is from unattenuated bottling sugar. I also have 4 12-oz bottles conditioning. I'm going to give my bottles a few more weeks to see how they end up, but if they don't have good carbonation I will probably just stick to force carbonating for any 15+% ABV beers from now on. I would say the Tap-A-Draft system can get it done. Properly carbonated 18% ABV beer.

Latest posts

Back