Walmart turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wing Nut

Reaction score
Damnn walmart turkey fryer!! I was using it to boil a 6 gal batch this weekend and the stupid thing kept going out. It apears in attempts to keep us from burning our houses down (and walmart geting sued) they have used a timer and a thermocouple that automaticaly turns off the burner if it gets too hot. Problem is I couldent get the pot hot enough before the burner turned off. Has anyone firgured out a way around this? I cant just bypass the timer/thermocouple assemebly.

Cheers

wing nut

I've never heard of a timer being on a turkey fryer. When people use them for what they're intended for (as if anyone would actually FRY a turkey :rolleyes:) it takes about 45 minutes or more.

Pictures would help. What model is the turkey fryer? If it's built into the hose, you can buy another regulator from a BBQ store or online that's more standard.

Take it back and buy a banjo cooker. They kick A$$. I think you have to buy those online to get a good price though.

Not quite the one but yes that is the same design. I tried to connect the hose from the regulator right into the manifold but the fitting is too small for the hole. I was thinking of just bending the thermocouple off to the right so it wouldent get too hot.

Wing nut

The ThermoCouple is the good part of that setup....I have 2 timers that I use when I brew...one gets set for 15 minutes....that's when I need to reset the dial on the Timer....PAIN IN THE ASS!!!! I intend to use that burner for the HLT When I get a bit less ghetto.

That's ridiculous. Do all cookers require that now, or just the ones considered "turkey fryers"? As one reviewer pointed out: the flame goes out, and now you have to move around a giant pot of boiling oil to re-light the burner.
This is what we get when stupid people are allowed to breed.

Sounds like a bad design for homebrewing overall. IMO a good burner and boil kettle are worth the extra money vice some of these turkey fryers.

mine does the same thing and you can buy banjos from academy sports or tractor supply. to re-light i just hit the switch after i snake my flexable lighter and re-light. only problem i have had is the over heating making it difficult to stay lit

I have this fryer and found a work around. I set the timer and then tape it in the fully set position with duct tape. You need a new piece evertime you brew because the timer is strong and eventually moves the duct tape. I am all for safety features of course but what can you really cook or brew in 15 minutes?

I have the same fryer, and remember reading a thread on here about how to bypass it (believe you just connect two wires inside the timer). However, all I do is wedge a piece of folded up cardboard between the timer and the box to prevent the timer from turning, it'll go all day like that :D

I have one of those fryers. I just bent all the safty stuff out of the way, and just use the temp probe to hold down the red button. Its ghetto but works fine never shuts off:mug:

However, all I do is wedge a piece of folded up cardboard between the timer and the box to prevent the timer from turning, it'll go all day like that :D

This sounds better than my duct tape idea..lol..Im going to try this..Maybe this weekend if this damn nor'easter disappears or maybe next week.

well I know this is way old! but here is a video on how to clip the timer on the backyard classic turkey fryer.

poor shaky video but still cool because I ran in to the same thing as you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
forget timers and cutoffs. we have a chain here in texas called academy sports. they sell a fryer for $29, and it heats up 12 gallons to a boil in about 20-30 minutes. they also sell a jet burner :D

well you can do want i did.. I took some JB Weld and welded the pressure switch in the open position. no more turning it for me..

I just bypassed mine today. there is the piece that the gas line goes into that has a button for lighting and at the other end is the wires that go in for the safety. unscrew the aluminum piece where the wires go in. when that is off, inside there is another aluminum piece crammed into the brass piece, pull the aluminum piece. this is the solenoid that turns off the gas if the flame goes out. just take the spring out, and the valve will always stay open. then reassemble.

I had a similar one from bass pro and when the hose got nicked I discovered that their replacement won't fit the timer, it does however fit the burner directly (bypassing all that annoying crap).

Latest posts

Back