Unbreakable Auto-Siphon, anybody?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maztec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me start by saying: AAARRGGHGHGHGGHH!!!

I have now broken four auto-siphons. Basically, I break one every third or fourth brew. They stick to the hose, I fiddle to get them loose, and *SNAP*.

Thus, does anyone have a recommendation for an unbreakable - or near unbreakable - auto-siphon? I can't find anyone that provides an auto-siphon in metal, but does such a thing exist? Where can I pick it up? Heck, what do I need to make my own if I have to.

Thanks!

Do you use hot water on the auto siphon when you are sanitizing it? If so, you are making the plastic more brittle. The hottest water you have coming out of your faucet is not hot enough to sanitize anything so it is pointless to use hot water if you are using a sanitizer.

Are you using 5/16 hose on your auto siphon? This hose while giving a really tight fit is too small and leads to the problems you are having. 3/8 hose works better but you can't use regular hose because it will cause bubbles to form in the beer you are transfering. The best solution I have found is to use 3/8 inch thick wall hose. It works perfect and it comes off easy. I have used my first and only auto siphon for as long as they have been available. Is that 6 or 7 years?

If you are having problems removing the thick wall hose, put a little dish washing liquid where the hose meets the auto siphon and run some warm water over the connection.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest.

I've been using a 3/8" hose.

After doing a bit more looking around, I think I am going to go to the carboy cap method or FlyGuy's T-siphon.

Thanks though!

Why do you take the hose off?

If you run hot water through several times right after using there's nothing to clean off..."sugar water" aka 'BEER" just dissolves.

I've been using the same one for years now.

Why do you take the hose off?

If you run hot water through several times it right after using there's nothing to clean off..."sugar water" aka 'BEER" just dissolves.

I've been using the same one for years now.

Because a friend kept getting infections, and was heavy-duty cleaning everything, and couldn't get them to stop. :cross: I went over, took apart his auto-siphon & hose assembly, noted it stank, cleaned it, he has never had an infection since. Thus, I like to clean everything that it is reasonable to clean.

I've used one for about 30 batches and haven't had any problem. I don't take the hose off. Mine soaks in oxyclean right after use, then gets sprayed with starsan just before use.

You could use the better bottles with the port. No siphon necessary there.

Because a friend kept getting infections, and was heavy-duty cleaning everything, and couldn't get them to stop. :cross: I went over, took apart his auto-siphon & hose assembly, noted it stank, cleaned it, he has never had an infection since. Thus, I like to clean everything that it is reasonable to clean.
It sounds like your sanitation processes are already better than your friends...chances are you won't have the same problem. ;)

I broke a couple, several years ago, then I started running some hot tap water over the end of the hose when attaching to or detaching from the siphon. The heat makes the hose more pliable, and it is easy to get it on or off even with the 5/16" hose.

-a.

i'm about to remove the rubber grommet from my recently broken a-s and re-epoxy it to my stainless racking cane. seems i can't break that cane. :) i've broken enough canes in my first year of brewing that i'm never buying plastic if i can help it.

i contacted fermtech and the guy who runs it emailed back and said some hot water may loosen the seal on the existing one. worse thing that can happen is i have to buy a new siphon, but then at least i'll know if it was worth the effort beforehand.

any thoughts?

I fill a small bucket with hot water and pump the siphon about 10 times. I do the same with starsan before I use it.

Me too, Bobby.

I keep a 5 gal bucket of mixed Starsan at all times. I wet down the individual parts then pump SS through the syphon (tubing stays filled with SS) and just let it sit for a few minutes every time before I use it. ;)

You may be able to attach your SS racking cane to the original plunger. I would cut the original plunger just above the grommet end and splice it to your SS racking cane with a short piece of 3/8" vinyl tubing. I haven't looked closely at my original to see how the grommet thing is attached. It may come apart if it's only a press fit, but I think it's probably more permanently attached than that.

Running hot water over the tubing connection and gently twisting the tubing has always worked for me. I've been using the same one for a number of years without problems.

If you must remove the hose, and the hot water is not doing it for you, carefully slit the hose over the connection, not cutting the cane, this will help with removal. Of course this will mean cutting the hose 1/4-1/2" shorter for reconnection but how long will you use the tubing anyway?

Here was my answer to a unbreakable one built for a brewer but the cost and labor makes more economic to buy the plastic if fact I must have 15 years on my old plastic one. More of a labor to see if I could build one.

MVC-734S-1.jpg

MVC-733S-1.jpg

Biggest problem for myself was the two check valves.

God Bless
Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

I broke one at the neck of the racking cane over a year ago (which I now use to transfer sour beers). I use 5/16 tubing. It works best if you spray some StarSan onto the end of the racking cane, push the tubing on, and disconnect it by twisting (not pulling) as soon as you are done racking. Once the wort or beer has had a chance to dry and get sticky, it's very difficult to remove the tubing.

You may be able to attach your SS racking cane to the original plunger. I would cut the original plunger just above the grommet end and splice it to your SS racking cane with a short piece of 3/8" vinyl tubing. I haven't looked closely at my original to see how the grommet thing is attached. It may come apart if it's only a press fit, but I think it's probably more permanently attached than that.

Running hot water over the tubing connection and gently twisting the tubing has always worked for me. I've been using the same one for a number of years without problems.
the grommet is most definitely glued on there with some sort of food grade epoxy. the fellow from Fermtech made mention that is does have a glue in there in my email from him. he said hot water may loosen it enough to twist out and that the black parts would be harder to melt than the clear.

Here was my answer to a unbreakable one built for a brewer but the cost and labor makes more economic to buy the plastic if fact I must have 15 years on my old plastic one. More of a labor to see if I could build one.

Biggest problem for myself was the two check valves.

God Bless
Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

That is awesome. Unfortunately, I'm not nearly that talented when it comes to mechanical things. I don't suppose you'd be willing to post a How To somewhere? ;)

Latest posts

Back