The Ugliest Of Junks - Converted Pasta Roller Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieBrewer

Reaction score
4649707341_79fa3eca79.jpg

4650325082_d5f92b06ee.jpg

4649707533_a3f921fef9.jpg

4650325340_db8b3016f2_b.jpg

Yes, I used the box it came in as a hopper. Biermuncher and Revvy, eat your hearts out.

I'm going to try conditioning the grain and I'll report back with efficiency numbers tomorrow after I brew.

:ban:

That looks like a nice crush. Perhaps a few untouched grains. When I was playing w/ the pasta roller, it seemed like twice through the mill at a slightly larger gap gave a more thorough crush and the grain fed through much faster.

For what they are, and the $ required, these things can give a nice crush w/ some tinkering. At the end of the day, I prefer my corona style, but still believe the pasta roller is a viable low cost mill that can produce excellent results.

I conditioned my malt with a Corona style mill last brew day and holy crap did it work!

A word of advise, don't put too much water on the grain, it is hard to crank through the mill if the grain is a little damp.

I was getting excess flour when crushing with my pasta machine. Conditioning worked amazingly well.

That's been my findings as well. I'm going to see how conditioning the grain affects things with this set up.

She might be ugly, but I put 20lbs of grain through her two days ago and had 70% efficiency. I think if I tweak some things, it can go higher though. It gave me a great crush.

4764302312_3bde7c28d8.jpg

4763665969_b2f7f1b349.jpg

Last time I used it I conditioned my malt first. Definitely gave me a fluffier crush, but not sure what it did to my efficiency. I will say that I hate using this thing though. I think I need to scar up my rollers a bit more. Last time a 12lb grainbill took me 75 minutes, no joke. That's dedication holmes.

Last time I used it I conditioned my malt first. Definitely gave me a fluffier crush, but not sure what it did to my efficiency. I will say that I hate using this thing though. I think I need to scar up my rollers a bit more. Last time a 12lb grainbill took me 75 minutes, no joke. That's dedication holmes.

I scared mine up with about 40-50 passes with the drill. Since I havn't build a shoot I grind in 1-2 pound incriments into a casserole dish. It takes me about 1-3 minutes a pound of grain hand cranking this *****.

I've got to tweek my rooler mill a bit. Roughed up the roller all to hell with a drill bit, but still need to find the best setting. Ran it threw too wide (7) yesterday and only got 69% effec. I would upload a pic, but i'm at work....

What is the consesus on settings? Mine has the 1-9 settings with 1 being the smallest. Setting 4 or 5 seem to be about the "credit card thickness".

I also took a 1/2" spade drill bit and ground off the tip and some of the side. Fits right in and runs great off my Dewalt 14.4v. My hopper is no way near as MacGuyvered at Hokie's nor Germelli's

I've got to tweek my rooler mill a bit. Roughed up the roller all to hell with a drill bit, but still need to find the best setting. Ran it threw too wide (7) yesterday and only got 69% effec. I would upload a pic, but i'm at work....

What is the consesus on settings? Mine has the 1-9 settings with 1 being the smallest. Setting 4 or 5 seem to be about the "credit card thickness".

I also took a 1/2" spade drill bit and ground off the tip and some of the side. Fits right in and runs great off my Dewalt 14.4v. My hopper is no way near as MacGuyvered at Hokie's nor Germelli's

Haha well, mine started at about 4ish and I worked up from there. Mine got stuck at seven, somehow the rollers got too close and stopped grinding. I just keep adjusting it until the rollers stay put haha

Back