Refractometer??? Good one for beer?? AHS special

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one that looks identical, and that price is what they had them on ebay for (way to go Forrest!).

I am still learning to use it, and often compare to hydrometer samples. There are several conversions that need to be done (beersmith does them).

So yeah, that is the right one. Just spend the time reading the instructions and usage tips from others.

I think it will post learning curve. I can check the gravity of my wort during the sparge and check that I am on track... no cooling samples.

I say yes, worth the money for that.

I still use hydrometer when I am racking, as I taste samples anyhow.

That's my question - bang for buck is it worth it? hydrometer's are like no brainers.

I've been using the refractometer on my latest batch. They're great for taking quick samples, but, once fermentation is under way, you do have to run a conversion on the reading to correct it for the alcohol. I still plan on using my hydrometer to take my pre-bottling sample, because I always like to taste that one.

I use my refractometr on brewday, and my hydro prior to kegging. I can't stress how much easier it is on brew day to just grab a few drops throughout the boil to check how it is going. Much easier than grabbing a full sample, and chilling it down.

I prefer my hydro when kegging since I want to taste the beer anyway.

I'd say it is worth it. You might find them a few bucks cheaper on ebay, but AHS is a great vendor, and at that price I’d buy from them. Refractometers are great, especially for aquariums. :)

Here is a link to a calculator someone posted on another thread:
http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

It is easy to use, but I can't vouch for its accuracy.

If you're an all-grain brewer a refractometer is a handy tool on brew day.

It's just another gadget; but one I like. I enjoy gettng an instant read on the mash runnings, sparge runnings, pre-boil, during-boil, post-boil gravity readings. All that with about 15 drops of wort.....

I got my refractometer from Austin Homebrew just a few weeks back and already have used it on three batches and I love how much easier it has been. I made sure to do all my reading up on them and knew how to use it and when I needed a conversion before I started using it. I will say though that I am a bit more than aggravated that less than three weeks ago I paid a whole lot more for it than it is on special for. Buy it while it's cheap. You will not regret it.

That's a great price, and you'll get support from AHS if you need it. I'd pull the trigger for that price if I didn't already have one.

how does this one compare to the "ebay" one? I ordered the ebay one a couple days ago (whould have waited if i knew they were putting it on sale) If this one is a higher quality, i may buy one from austin too

Pulled the trigger this morning.

Also, couldn't help myself so I also ordered "Brew Like a Monk" (which is probably exactly what they hoped I would do).

I'm getting one today, and probably picking up a few little items as well. I've been wanting one for a long time.

I have been chilling my samples to take hydrometer readings, and sometimes it takes too long to chill from 170 to 80 degrees in the middle of the sparge or prior to the boil.

Just a tip for people who are buying a refractometer for the first time, you can multiply your brix by 4 you can get an estimated SG without using a calculator. I.E. 9 brix will give you 1.036, 8 brix will give you 1.032 etc.

Since more people are looking at this thread than the one I posted, just a reminder that this sale ends today at midnight. There is also a chance that we will run out and I will have to shut it down as well.

No pressure or anything.

Forrest

Since more people are looking at this thread than the one I posted, just a reminder that this sale ends today at midnight. There is also a chance that we will run out and I will have to shut it down as well.

No pressure or anything.

Forrest

Alright, alright! Lemme finish my coffee, though, before pulling out my credit card! It's not even 8 AM yet. :D

Hopefully, you have saaz hops so I might as well load up while my credit card is all warmed up.

Thanks, Forrest!

What a great deal from AHBS. I got mine off of ebay a few months ago. By far one of my favorite brewery tools. I don't even know where my refractometer is anymore.

I'm getting one today, and probably picking up a few little items as well. I've been wanting one for a long time.

I have been chilling my samples to take hydrometer readings, and sometimes it takes too long to chill from 170 to 80 degrees in the middle of the sparge or prior to the boil.

This is why I got one too. I was actually searching for the Ebay guy to buy one this morning after randomly asking SWMBO if she cared and got a Go ahead. This is rare to get the go ahead of brewery purchases from our joint account. Then came across Forrests great deal. This day is going well, I should take the rest of the day off work before it gets ruined :D

Thanks again Forrest.

Thanks for your orders. I didn't expect to sell through 100 refractometers before we even open.

We are excepting rainchecks today and today only (October 27, 2009).

Just email [email protected] and put in your request. We will email you when they are back in stock.

Forrest

Yes! I got one. I've wanted one for a long time, and finally that price got me to pull the trigger. Thanks!

Same here, now the brew day will be that much easier! That is, once I've gotten tired of playing with the new gadget and stop taking gravity readings every 5 minutes. :D

Back