Not sure about oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
So i have been using PBW since I started brewing to great effect. When I last ran out I bought some oxyclean to try. I tried to clean some blowoff tubing that had some crusty dried stuff inside by soaking it in about 1 gallon of water with one scoop of oxyclean.

It soaked for two days and when I rinsed it out the tubing was not clean. I feel like if I had done that with PBW it would have been squeaky clean after two days. I'm confused because the threads I've read just talk about how great it is but it seems to really not work as well. Perhaps i am not using it incorrectly or something, but I think I'm going back to PBW.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have had better results with PBW. When I started reading the great debate I learned that both Oxyclean and PBW share the same ingredient of sodium precarbonate. Oxy has sodium carbonate as well but sodium carbonate does not clean or is said to not clean as well as pre carbonate. Oxy has less precarbonate than PBW but PBW also has sodium metasillicate. Apparently what we're paying for in PBW is that, and the name I suppose. The reason, as far as I have read, PBW will work so well if you just let it soak (soak clean) is because of the metasillicate. Percarbonate creates the bubbles in PBW which acts as another cleaning agent and since it is not "cut" with another ingredient, like Oxy is, you get a better more powerful cleaning agent.

Oxyclean WILL clean things and is fine. I just prefer the power of PBW because I scrub less and when it comes to my plastic carboys, I scrub none.

You can make PBW at home, I hear.

i think homemade pbw is oxyclean + TSP (some kind of cleaner). there was a thread on it and i priced it out and i only saved a few bucks making it myself. So id rather not deal with mixing of cleaners so i just bought a 4lb tub of PBW.

I've never had an issue with Oxyclean. If you use it again try using the Oxyclean Free. There isn't any dyes or perfumes that could cause off taste if not rinsed well enough.

When you used Oxyclean did you use hot water in the beginning? To clean my kegs, taps or fermenting bucket I always fill with hot water from the tap and put in a 1/2 to a full scoop andlet it sit overnight. The next day rinse without any issues.

Never tried Oxy with dried crud, so maybe it would not work as well for that. I just mix it with warm water and soak for a day. Never used a brush once.

Reminds me I need to empty and rinse a keg this afternoon.

The water was probably just warm water. I can try hot. It did make scrubbing the labels off my bottles easier. Perhaps I can at least use it for things I can still get at with a brush or sponge.

Thanks for all your responses.

I have had better results with PBW. When I started reading the great debate I learned that both Oxyclean and PBW share the same ingredient of sodium precarbonate. Oxy has sodium carbonate as well but sodium carbonate does not clean or is said to not clean as well as pre carbonate. Oxy has less precarbonate than PBW but PBW also has sodium metasillicate. Apparently what we're paying for in PBW is that, and the name I suppose. The reason, as far as I have read, PBW will work so well if you just let it soak (soak clean) is because of the metasillicate. Percarbonate creates the bubbles in PBW which acts as another cleaning agent and since it is not "cut" with another ingredient, like Oxy is, you get a better more powerful cleaning agent.

Oxyclean WILL clean things and is fine. I just prefer the power of PBW because I scrub less and when it comes to my plastic carboys, I scrub none.

You can make PBW at home, I hear.

Thanks for all that info. Very helpful and it makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to combine OxiClean w. TSP90 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015WT148/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)

I think the ratio is 3 parts Oxiclean 1 part TSP90. I never had much success w/ dried crud and oxi by itself. As soon as I started mixing in TSP90 it was much more effective. Also great at cleaning grout.

Even amazon knows... ha...

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 5.21.35 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat. I'll have to price that out. The frequently bought together, it can be very helpful or very dangerous...

I use some generic OxiFree product from the dollar store at way lower prices than Amazon. And yes, TSP/90 (Sodium metasilicate) is a needed ingredient to make a PBW substitute/clone. 70% OxiFree, 30% TSP/90. Like 7oz + 3oz.

I found the 4# TSP/90 at the local hardware store (ACE) for about the same price as Amazon. Still stupidly expensive for what it is, but in total a bit lower than PBW off the homebrew shelf.

I also save the PBW solutions if they are not too cruddy. The TSP/90 and washing soda (from the Oxi after the Oxygen has dissipated) are still a great cleaner for your equipment, and work better when hot. That TSP is a very powerful cleaner.

Even amazon knows... ha...

I've been using this for several years. I buy 4 3-lb Oxiclean Free buckets when they are on sale and 1 4-lb Red Devil TSP/90. Mix them up and you are good for a full year of cleaning carboys and kegs.

I've never had to scrub anything. Just a 24-hour soak followed by a really hot rinse and no crud. :rockin:

I buy the Oxi locally. I used to buy via Amazon, but the prices have doubled with shipping.

Neat. I'll have to price that out. The frequently bought together, it can be very helpful or very dangerous...

It is extremely cheap even if you use name brand oxiclean, even cheaper if you buy generic oxiclean at Wal-Mart or wherever. I brew often at least 1 or 2 times a month and I am still on my first one pound lb of TSP90 I bought a year ago. I usually mix 1 tbs of oxi/tsp90 per gallon. Much Much Much cheaper than PBW and It works great.

The amazon price for oxiclean free is a ripoff. I bought the same 3 lb tub at walmart for $7, the other day. I bought PBW for the first time, wasn't impressed with the performance, and definitely wasn't impressed with the cost. I'll be comparing oxiclean + tsp/90 vs PBW soon.

Note: PBW works great, but it isn't as amazing as I expected it to be.

Someone on amazon reviews says the TSP/90 is not for glass. Anyone know why they would say that?

Latest posts

Back