Modify false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davor800

Reaction score
I've already had some input on how to deal with a 5gal batch in a 15gal kettle, and this is where I am at: I am considering modifying the FB.

The issue I have is too much water below the FB which results in a too thick of a mash. The logical solution is to get the FB go below the output and use a dip tube. However, the output is only 1inch from the bottom of the kettle, which isn't really enough space. So, my solution is a slanted false bottom. I can cut the feet so on one side the FB is touching the bottom of the kettle, and then slants upward from there. Hopefully, this link will work https://picasaweb.google.com/109031...authkey=Gv1sRgCI-Qx_iXn9u_8AE&feat=directlink

Thoughts?

it seems like having a slanted false bottom would cause more rinsing of the grain on the downward side, sort of a channeling issue if you're fly sparging. probably not an issue if you're batch sparging.

Latest posts

Back