mechanics of a Jaybird false bottom for cooler MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm looking at these and notice there is no center hole for a elbow/barb connection like some of the other false bottoms. Am I to assume the way these work is the stand holds up the false bottom which holds up all the grain thereby letting the water strain through, then all I would do is just drain the water from the MLT through the spigot/ball valve. No need to connect any tubing from the false bottom to the ball valve like other false bottoms? thanks

I don't know specifically how that product is supposed to work but I do know that if you have a false bottom that sits above the drain bulkhead, you'd want to have some kind of dip tube attached to get more liquid out. One of the more frustrating things with false bottoms meant to fit vessels with straight sides is the fact that they don't seal on the sides very well. That's why the Blichmann pots have the bottom shelf. It's also why most shops sell a smaller disc domed FB for coolers. I've been trying to solve that mystery for a while and I have a lot of prototypes. It's just a matter of building them cheap enough to earn the sale.

This problem has been solved. Take a look at the More Beer kettle false bottom on my site. This is how we build the cooler systems these days. Were in the process of changing all our flat bottom unhinged systems to an integrated welded stand that will add MASSIVE strength and BOATLOADS of extra filtration. Ohhh yeah and cheaper to buy as well. PM sent
Cheers
Jay

I got around this by taking a length of 7/16" beverage tubing (gas line) and cutting a slit the entire length. Then I put it around the circumference of my false bottom to make a "gasket". Makes a tight fit. I know I'm using the tubing for something for which it it was not intended, but I'm willing to take the risk.

Just throwing that out there.

I don't know specifically how that product is supposed to work but I do know that if you have a false bottom that sits above the drain bulkhead, you'd want to have some kind of dip tube attached to get more liquid out. One of the more frustrating things with false bottoms meant to fit vessels with straight sides is the fact that they don't seal on the sides very well. That's why the Blichmann pots have the bottom shelf. It's also why most shops sell a smaller disc domed FB for coolers. I've been trying to solve that mystery for a while and I have a lot of prototypes. It's just a matter of building them cheap enough to earn the sale.

I got around this by taking a length of 7/16" beverage tubing (gas line) and cutting a slit the entire length. Then I put it around the circumference of my false bottom to make a "gasket". Makes a tight fit. I know I'm using the tubing for something for which it it was not intended, but I'm willing to take the risk.

Just throwing that out there.

Lots of people did this. Several would ask me to cut the False Bottom small so they could do just that, and because we custom cut these in house for you guys when you order that was as easy as leaving me a note at check out....

Here is the new systems.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Conversion_Picnic_Cooler_10_Gallon.html

The real KILLER thing about these is if you want to use your braid as a post filter.... You can.

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back