help identify this mini keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flomaster

Reaction score
so last night at job number 2 I asked one of the regulars if he had a keg in his wrecking yard to my surprise he said yes its a small one.

the label says 7.75 gal , has a sticker on it that says wine.

its a little beat up, but I figured there must be a use for it in home brewing.

so I present to thee my $10 mini keg.

IMG_20101113_092550.jpg

IMG_20101113_092600.jpg

IMG_20101113_092611.jpg

IMG_20101113_092618.jpg

any ideas on how I can use this?

-=Jason=-

just looking for ideas on how to use this lil keg any help would be appreciated

-=Jason=-

Looks like a Firestone manufactured "Goldengate" style half keg. It's high quality stainless like all other Firestone kegs and corney kegs. It's meant to serve on it's side from that off center hole in what's normally the top and gas fed into the hole on the side. The other hole in the middle of the side is the filling hole that usually had a wooden or plastic bung after being filled at the brewery. Nobody uses these anymore. Might make an awesome little cask if you have or can find the right fittings.

The other style that's similar to this the "Hoff-Stevens" style keg that has the same filling bung hole in the side and only one gas in and beer out fitting in centered on the top. Those a made to be served from standing upright with a 2-prong tap coupler. I have one of those that I use a brew pot with a big silicone bung in the side, top cut off, and a couple of gate handles pop riveted on to lift it. I like it better than a modern Sankey keg with the top cut because the curved shape makes a boilover almost impossible and the bottom shape can be used to trap trub and cold break.

Good luck with it!

thanks for the reply it does have Firestone stamped in it, I might look for parts to restore it or just cut the top and use it for small 5 gallon batches.

-=Jason=-

Latest posts

Back