Discovered the reason my IC was inefficient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
I was chilling a batch on Sunday and I saw something sticking out of the IC OUT port...inside the effluent line (clear plastic tubing). Later when I disassembled it...I found out it is a length of yellow, nylon rope (thicker than string but thin for rope) inside my IC!

I always thought the back-pressure in my IC seemed way high but it's my first IC so I just assumed it was normal. It's no problem with the garden hose hooked up but my submersible pond pump peters out with all that head pressure. It flows but too slowly.

I pulled as much out as I could but it's now stuck...it won't budge anymore. Any ideas getting it out without destroying the IC?

Sounds like the old chiller I had. It was from NB and had something to provide turbulence in the water flow (I think it was a bit more expensive than the regular model). I ended up returning it and getting the regular one. I don't think they sell that version anymore.

It seemed like the magic was done by a piece of yellow plastic material that is usually used to bind things together.

My chiller worked good for 2 brews then it seemed like the plastic got compacted or something.

If you bought yours from NB, I suspect they would still exchange/return it. If you can't return it, if you can grab an end of it with some pliers or something you might be able to pull it out while twisting. Might even help to get some water in the other side to help push it out.

Thanks Bokonon. I can't remember where I got it. I'm guessing Morebeer because I prob would have ordered it with my kettle and I know I got that from Morebeer.

I've tied it to a screwdriver and pulled just shy of a hernia and it's not budging...I'm guessing it's stuck at that last bend. Maybe I'll take a torch to it and see if that helps but I don't wanna destroy it...I'm gonna need it this weekend.

Maybe you could try running water in the opposite direction to get it to loosen up a bit. Another idea would be to put it in some boiling water to soften it up

I am unfamiliar with your IC, but if wost comes to worst, you might be able to try this:

Use some water based lubricant to lower friction when you pull the string (that stuff isn't just for putting things in tight places, you know)

If your IC doesn't have the super tight bends, you might consider straightening it out to reduce friction when you pull the string.

If you do have the super tight bends, you might need to cut the tubing at the bends, remove the string and then repair with couplings (perhaps even straighten it out to facilitate removing the string)

Thanks for the ideas. The string/rope ended up breaking so no more pulling. I've filled it with a solvent that is pretty harsh on plastics/rubbers and I'll let it soak and see if that turns it to dust.

I really wish I remembered who I bought this from. One shouldn't have to go through this kinda **** just to get a simple IC. Kinda irritates me that I've put up with crappy cooling efficiency because of a poor quality product.

Back