Digital Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashe

Reaction score
I have been looking to get a refractometer but I think it would be really cool to have a digital one. I found this one really cheap. Anyone have experience with a digital refractometer? Are they any good? This one is not that expensive so I would not feel too bad wasting the money on it if it was a piece of crap. I have wasted more money that that on brewing equipment I have only used once or twice.

I have been looking to get a refractometer but I think it would be really cool to have a digital one. I found this one really cheap. Anyone have experience with a digital refractometer? Are they any good? This one is not that expensive so I would not feel too bad wasting the money on it if it was a piece of crap. I have wasted more money that that on brewing equipment I have only used once or twice.

I read through the specs and it looks as if it will work just fine

I notice that the Henna refractometer says it is for wine....I have also seen digital refractometers made by Milwakee instruments that are specifically made for winemaking ........would these be okay to use for brewing?

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z4IN58/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 and it works great. I ran readings with this refractometer along with my hydro for a few batches after I purchased it to make sure it was good. The important thing to remember is to calibrate it prior to each use and that's a simple thing to do with distilled water (has to be distilled). Turn the unit on, place a drop of distilled water on the sensor and let it sit for a few seconds for it to temperature adjust and then press the key labeled "Zero". Once it zeros out, wipe the sensor and place a drop of wort onto the sensor and wait a few seconds for that to temp adjust and press the "Read" button, simple. I then use this calculator to convert from Brix: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brewzor.calculator&hl=en. I like it because I can calibrate the calculator using my hydrometer one time. Take readings with your hydro, enter the number into the calibration section of the refractometer calc, then take a reading with your refractometer and enter that and it will adjust, you only need to do that once not for every batch but I do spot check it once in a while and it's usually spot on still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back