Difference between these two perlicks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to ask Model numbers. IIRC, last years and the new years models look nearly identical but much on the inside has changed. IIRC, the old model is the 425 while the new "improved" is the 525.

Very different mechnisms at work on the inside.

Need to ask Model numbers. IIRC, last years and the new years models look nearly identical but much on the inside has changed. IIRC, the old model is the 425 while the new "improved" is the 525.

Very different mechnisms at work on the inside.

hmm, so I assume the more expensive one is this years model? It mentions nothing about model number on NB :-/

I just bought a pair of the 425s specifically for the removable spout. I plan to make a bottle-fill adapter and may use a longer Euro-style spout as well.

ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Not sure why a removable spout would help in cleaning. I just soak all my parts in a bucket of cleaning solution anyway

the 425 ( removable spout) will hold a heavier tap handle while the pull on the 525s is smooth smooth smooth

He means that it takes more force to pull the handle, not that the handle itself is somehow heavier.

should have been more specific i was mashing and distracted

The 425 is a heavier pull like weird boy said which in my experience will keep a tap handle with more weight from opening itself the 525 has a much smoother easier pull but with a heavy handle will try and open itself. your sierra nevada will be fine on both.

on my 425s i have my truck emblems which are close to 1.25lbs each while the center one is a 525 and the handle is about .25 lbs tops about the same as a normal bar tap handle

4858129111_8565cc8937_b.jpg

Tis true and I'll second that the 525s will fall forward easier than the 425s. Had both my kegerators at a baby shower over the weekend and the host wanted creepy baby dolls as tap handles (don't ask). I obliged and we had to rubber band one of 525s with a small doll on it where both 425s were holding strong with much larger dolls.

That said, I like the simplicity and (to me) better pouring of the 525s. Also, aside from seals, the 525 is all stainless inside. The 425s have plastic shuttles that seem (to me) to cause more turbulence when pouring. I thought the removable spout would be cool, but have yet to use it other than another part to dismantle for cleaning. It doesn't seem necessary and has threads to trap more crap from my point of view.

Tis true and I'll second that the 525s will fall forward easier than the 425s. Had both my kegerators at a baby shower over the weekend and the host wanted creepy baby dolls as tap handles (don't ask). I obliged and we had to rubber band one of 525s with a small doll on it where both 425s were holding strong with much larger dolls.

That said, I like the simplicity and (to me) better pouring of the 525s. Also, aside from seals, the 525 is all stainless inside. The 425s have plastic shuttles that seem (to me) to cause more turbulence when pouring. I thought the removable spout would be cool, but have yet to use it other than another part to dismantle for cleaning. It doesn't seem necessary and has threads to trap more crap from my point of view.

Thats what I'm thinking. Can't wait to try these out :)

Also, aside from seals, the 525 is all stainless inside. The 425s have plastic shuttles that seem (to me) to cause more turbulence when pouring. I thought the removable spout would be cool, but have yet to use it other than another part to dismantle for cleaning. It doesn't seem necessary and has threads to trap more crap from my point of view.

1.) I have (8) 425SS. Each one is all stainless excepting the seals.

2.) When the spout is fully threaded, there are no threads exposed for anything to get trapped in.

3.) The best, and only, use I have found for having removable spouts is when using a bottling adapter. There is a thread on HBT regarding a machinist who makes stainless adapters for these faucets. Allows a persons to connect a bottling wand to a faucet via the threads for the spout. Very clever and a HUGE timesaver for bottling from kegs.

My suspicion is that Perlick came out with a cheaper version of the 425 so they could sell more units. They took a great deal of cost out of the faucet which usually means lower quality.

My suspicion is that Perlick came out with a cheaper version of the 425 so they could sell more units. They took a great deal of cost out of the faucet which usually means lower quality.

Not true, the new ones are less $$ because there are less parts.

No shuttle, sealing gaskets for the shuttle, and less gaskets at the stem. The one piece body also eliminates the separate nose piece and gasket.

FYI for bottling, 3/16" id heavy wall beverage tubing fits nice and snug into the nozzle of the 525 perl. I've got a 3' section of tubing connected to a cobra tap with a racking cane stuffed into the cobra, finished off with a #2 stopper on the racking cane that makes bottling a cake walk.

Not true, the new ones are less $$ because there are less parts.

No shuttle, sealing gaskets for the shuttle, and less gaskets at the stem. The one piece body also eliminates the separate nose piece and gasket.

FYI for bottling, 3/16" id heavy wall beverage tubing fits nice and snug into the nozzle of the 525 perl. I've got a 3' section of tubing connected to a cobra tap with a racking cane stuffed into the cobra, finished off with a #2 stopper on the racking cane that makes bottling a cake walk.

Simpler than that even, the 3/16" can also be threaded through the hole on the Buon Vino stoppers that fit your carboy. Feed the line through so that the "outside" of the stopper fits snuggly over the bottle you are filling and adjust the length to reach the bottom of the bottle. By gently rocking the stopper you can adjust the pressure and fill with no foaming.

Back