Contaminated? Spoiled? You decide..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudbuster

This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There has been several threads and posts with questions about contaminated beer. This prompted me to do a web search for pictures of what was thought to be spoiled beer. I make no comment one way or another, just present them. None of them come from HBT.

Here is a quote from a dude on the Green Board... :)
I've yet to have an infected beer (least one that prevented me from drinking it).

Pictures:

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15.

Most of the time on here the beer in question is not infected. It's just a nervous new brewer, who THINKS something is wrong when in reality they are just unused to the ugliness that beer making often is.

In fact, though you may not be making a commentary, even threads with titles like this tend to provoke fear in new brewers. Sort of like the hypochodria that med students often get when they start learning about illness, they start to "feel" it in themselves.

There is a lot of info here on "infections" https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-anyone-ever-messed-up-batch-96644/

And the reason I have collected THESE stories is to counter the fear and fear mongering that often happens.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

Despite the thread titles, which upon follow up the OP usually comes back and says the beer's fine...It really really is hard to infect or "contaminate" your beer.....ESPECIALLY if it is your FIRST batch of beer on brand new equipment.

lacto-pellicle.jpg

Sure looks cool!

There has been several threads and posts with questions about contaminated beer. This prompted me to do a web search for pictures of what was thought to be spoiled beer. I make no comment one way or another, just present them. None of them come from HBT.

Here is a quote from a dude on the Green Board... :)

Pictures:

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15.

In picture #6 what is on the sides of the carboy? I think I've seen that before.

Latest posts

Back