Best place to find LARGE boil pot ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illnastyimpreza

Reaction score
I've been looking for old kegs to turn into keggles, but to no success. Is there another LARGE pot or something else I can use ? Where should I look ? I'm also on a tight budget :)

I've looked at the bayou classic tamale pot on amazon (free shipping with prime, and it's only in the $40 range). Definitely a good sized pot and decent price. Sure, it'll be flimsy

When I first started, I used a canning pot. It was enamaled, blue with white specks- I'm not sure I'm explaining it well. Anyway, those are fine to use, as long as the enameling isn't chipped. I also saw some crab boiling pots at a Big Lots store a while back- they were about $12.

Ideally, you'd have a fairly thick heavy guage pot, to help keep it from scorching on the bottom, but cheap pots will work in a pinch, too. I went to an aluminum turkey fryer after that.

Consider buying used. I bought mine from HBT'er Bobby_M and it was better than any new purchase. Its not the biggest pot possible, but I'm sure there are bigger out there on craigslist or eBay...

+1 for instawares, I got two 120qt pots from them for $115 each. Good heavy duty construction and very thick aluminum. These are made for commercial kitchens and will last forever.

I got my Tarhong 60 qt Aluminum stock pot from Sams Club (.com) for less than $50... it was $56 with shipping. They don't seem to have it on the site anymore.

+1 to Instawares. Cheap cheap cheap.

Restaurant supply store? That's where I bought my kettle and I plan to buy my second there.

how much did you pay ??

right now I'm leaning twards a used one, because honestly, does it matter if its used before ??? :p I'm really on a tight budget, and for such a simple thing such as a freakin pot, I can't believe how hard it is to find a cheap readily available one !

Got a 5 gallon SS here 9 Gallon Stainless Steel Brew Pot for $25- Link is for a 9 gallon SS for $70. On a similar note, my buddy said Walmart has a propane turkey deep fryer for $20... Hmmm, thinking I need to make a quick trip

Since the OP mentioned "keggle" I am assuming we are looking for something in the 40qt-plus range. I would assume the OP is doing - at a minimum - 5 gallon full boils (7+ pre-boil) or , even more likely , 10 gallon batches.

A 32 qt Turkey Fryer isn't bad ... and the 9 gal could make a passable 10 gal batch with some post-boil dilution... but I think he's talking BIGGITY BIG. :)

What is your tight budget? Are we talking <$40 or <$300? If you are looking for heavy duty stainless (the ones most retailers carry) Morebeer has them the cheapest. If you are adding a spigot, sightglass, and thermo, the Boilermakers are actually a good deal. If you are just starting out and need something to boil in, look to aluminum or the cheaper SS pots.

Latest posts

Back