Using Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyc

Reaction score
Anyone use rye? I'm thinking up a recipe for an American Red Rye, but don't know if rye needs to be mashed, or if steeping works effectively.

howtobrew.com doesn't list steeping yields for rye, but it doesn't for Vienna or Biscuit either, and I've used kits that contain them for steeping.

I was going to try this one extract, but could do an all-grain if I needed to. That looks like it's about in line with what I'm wanting to brew. Sounds delicious. If anyone has had the Big Hoppy Monster from Terrapin, or their Rye Pale Ale, that's what I'm aiming for. I haven't had that Hop Rod Rye.

RichBrewer said:
So how did this turn out? I'm curious as to what Rye does to a beer.

Everyone who likes hops loves it. I've made it at least 5 times. I don't really know what the rye contributes. Hops are the most prevalent flavor ;)

It's dark brown, full malty body, enormous bitterness, lots of aromatics from the dry hopping. I like to add even more dry hops :D Strong stuff, too. It's definitely a lot of fun. Highly recommended.

That recipe will get you pretty close to the Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye but it can be better than theirs if you use nice fresh whole hops. This recipe is almost exactly a clone recipe that was posted here last year by Deroux (I think?) from BYO magazine (I think?).

Cheers :D

It doesn't add a really strong flavor. All I can say is that it gives the beer a mild taste but with a bold body profile. It also adds a red/brown color. If you're thinking it might give you the same flavor as rye bread, it doesn't.

Janx said:
This recipe is almost exactly a clone recipe that was posted here last year by Deroux (I think?) from BYO magazine (I think?).

Cheers :D

I can't find it posted anywhere or on the BYO website. The search function here says the words hop and rod and rye are too short.

Anyone know where the recipe that DeRoux posted is?

Thanks....

El Pistolero said:
Janx posted the link at the top of this page. :)

Thanks, EP... I saw that recipe, but Janx said he changed the original up a little. I was wanting to compare the two.... :)

Lounge Lizard said:
Thanks, EP... I saw that recipe, but Janx said he changed the original up a little. I was wanting to compare the two.... :)

I can't find the thread either, but here is the BYO version of Hop Rod Rye::rockin:

Hop Rod Rye cloner--BYO
A ProMash Recipe Report
BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA
Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.88
Anticipated OG: 1.078 Plato: 18.81
Anticipated SRM: 12.7
Anticipated IBU: 84.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
58.8 8.75 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
16.8 2.50 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
8.4 1.25 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2
8.4 1.25 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
3.4 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.4 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
0.8 0.13 lbs. Black Malt Belgium 1.030 600
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Tomahawk, F-10 Variety Whole 16.00 47.2 60 min.
0.75 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 15.8 30 min.
2.00 oz. Tomahawk, F-10 Variety Whole 16.00 21.0 5 min.
0.75 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP051 California Ale V

Dude said:
I can't find the thread either, but here is the BYO version:

Wow... thanks!

Now if I can only get my three newly acquired Sanke kegs turned into some kind of three tier system, so I can try this. I may just have to go with a partial mash the first time. Looks like I will be spending some time over at the Recipator web site converting it. Sounds like something that will keep me out of trouble for a while... lol

Thanks again... :D

Dude said:
Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Tomahawk, F-10 Variety Whole 16.00 47.2 60 min.
0.75 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 15.8 30 min.
2.00 oz. Tomahawk, F-10 Variety Whole 16.00 21.0 5 min.
0.75 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
WOW! That's some serious IBUs.

rye tends to give a crisp, drier flavor. it goes exceptionally well with american hops, like the one listed in the recipes above. the color seems to be a reddish hue, but it depends on your specialty grains. the advice given to me by others here was to mix the rye well with the pale malt, and put it on top of a bed of the pale. rye is sticky, so this kind of eliminates the possibility of a stuck sparge. i didn't have any issues with it while brewing my rye pale ale, using a pound of flaked rye and a pound of malted rye. on another note, try the hop rod somehow, seek and you shall find...it is an excellent beer, and i still can't figure out quite how they get that incredible head on it.

drengel said:
and i still can't figure out quite how they get that incredible head on it.

Flaked rye?
102.gif

drengel said:
i still can't figure out quite how they get that incredible head on it.

Well, the hops help a lot. And there's wheat in it. And head pretty much just happens. Do you not get good head retention? I don't know if it's my water or what, but I always get great head retention no matter what the recipe. This recipe produces a beer with a better head than HRR in the bottle for me.

my head retention is generally poor, although i have had a few brews that maintained a nice head all the way through. don't know what i did differently though. my rye pale ale is the first time ive used wheat for head retention though, so in a few weeks when i crack a bottle we will see.

Hmm...I wonder what the difference is...

Do you skim the foam off the boil? I had friends who insisted on doing that and they got crappy head retention. I could never convince them to stop skimming off the part that makes the head persistent ;)

Flaked rye, roled rye don't need to be boiled but definately can not convert themsleves.
Use a gum rest and that will help prevent a stuck mash.

Works good with clean yeasts. I prefer noble hops with rye.
Though a I have been thinkning of using rye with a stout.

I've used amounts form 5 to 25% and found it to be a nice addition.

Back