Zinc washer coating is now in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I brewed a smoked robust porter about 2 weeks ago. It was time to replace the setup on my hlt(a converted keg) which is also doubling as my boil kettle. I went to lowes and they did not have a ss washer that would fit my fitting so I bought a zinc coated washer that fit thinking it would be okay for one brew. As I was cleaning up after the brew day I looked at the zinc washer and it was no longer shiny, it was now dull. I brewed five gallons, do you guys think it okay to drink? It tastes like it is supposed to.

BTW the washer weighs 42 grams so I am assuming that around 1-2 grams of the zinc coating are present in five gallons. The health department says that zinc toxicity occurs at levels of greater than 225 mg of zinc.

BTW the washer weighs 42 grams so I am assuming that around 1-2 grams of the zinc coating are present in five gallons. The health department says that zinc toxicity occurs at levels of greater than 225 mg of zinc.

Is zinc toxicity cumulative or do our bodies get rid of it?

I did a lot of carpentry work and guys were always putting zinc coated nails in their mouths without any visible harm.

Now that I think about it, working at a dangerous job like carpentry for the wages we were paid might indicate some mental insufficiency.

Anecdotally, I'd say you are OK. I did the same thing you did (and then promptly got a stainless washer) on my first batch. I believe yeast take up zinc as well, when they do their thing. The batch I made tasted fine, and apart from the horns and third arm, I'm good to go. (kidding on the horns and third arm).

There are a number of articles that say zinc supplements before drinking can actually help prevent damage to the digestive tract and liver as a result of alcohol. In addition zinc plays an important role in thyroid function. It is suggested that even moderate drinkers take 25mg of zinc prior to drinking, with heavier drinkers taking up to 50mg, so maybe you've done a good thing. I keep a bottle around for those occasions where I think I'll end up over-indulging.

Assuming two grams of zinc is now in your five gallon batch, you should have about 38 mg of zinc in each 12 oz. bottle. If the above statement about toxicity occurring at 225mg you should be able to enjoy a few beers and not worry about it. You may even be doing yourself some good.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a scientist or a doctor, so I could be totally talking out my a**. The logic works for me.

Have you weighed a new washer against the one out of your kettle to see how much zinc there actually is in the beer? It might trun out that there is much less than you think.

Have you weighed a new washer against the one out of your kettle to see how much zinc there actually is in the beer? It might trun out that there is much less than you think.

This. I don't think an average sized washer contains anywhere near 1-2 grams of zinc. The coating is very thin.

Back