Zero head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tavernpuzzler

Reaction score
So after brewing two batches from kits I wanted to try to create something on my own. I kept it simple, just LME (amber and golden) and a health selection of hops. I worked it all up in brewing software to get the IBUs about where I wanted them and the desired ABV.

The beer came out quite nice, not the exactly flavor that I was going for, but a nice IPA, although seeing it now, I'd say is a little on the dark side. When transferring to secondary there was a lot of nice looking liquid left over when the siphon died. I decided to save it by pouring it into a smaller jug and then bottled 3 plastic bottles so I could force carbonate and get a taste. By my taste there was plenty of carbonation.

As mentioned, the flavor was good but I noticed there was zero head. The previous two beers I brewed came out with respectable head. So the question is: Why not this one? Did not change any cleaning practices that I can think of.

Known differences:
1. First time using whirlfloc
2. No specialty grains (all LME)

Am I just dumb and don't know that you need some real grains to promote a head?

Any ideas?

I'm guessing you force carbonated using a carbonation cap on the plastic bottles? What was your procedure (temps, pressures, time, etc) for that?

All-extract recipes can have head, so that's not necessarily it. Also, the darkness could easily be from boiling the extract if you added it all at the start of boil. That tends to darken it up.

Yes I used a carbonator cap. I basically hooked them up to 20-25 psi and did the much frowned upon shake and let it sit in the keezer for a while. Maybe I shook it another time or two. I've read that you can "use up" some of the stuff that causes the head by shaking during force carbonation. The whole procedure was within a day and it's pretty safe to say that all 3 bottles saw a different procedure since I was not following anything written down and I was limited to carbonating 1 bottle at a time.

I did basically the same thing with the hydrometer sample from the imperial stout and it seemed to form a head fine. (Same bottles, give it some pressure and shake now and then.)

Also, I'm pretty sure the beer came out too dark because I do not have a good feeling for the SRM scale yet. I'm betting that it is almost exactly the color the software predicted, just that I aimed too dark with my LME mixture. 9.7 SRM was the expected color.

Back