Your fave little hint/process/equipment/trick....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulshe

Reaction score
Maybe a thread on little things you've come up with to make your brew process work. Something that maybe you do that after 5 or 7 or 15 times you said "hey here is some little nugget of wisdom".

I'll start with this. I like to take gravity readings throughout the brewing process (first runnings, second runnings, pre-boil, post boil). Finally figured that the filing a little 200ml canning jar about 3/4 full is enough to float my hydrometer in the the hydrometer cylinder. So now during my session I always have 3 or 4 of these and know that I can just quickly fill one up and have enough to take a reading. Less wasted liquid and easy to do.

So do you have any little tidbit to share. Looking for things that are small enough that they are overlooked in most faqs, instructions, tutorials.

-paul

One day after pitching and fermentation is going well, take off a sample in something like a champagne flute (just tall and thin), leave this on your counter top and watch it's progress for the duration of the brew, I find that it behaves much the same as the brew in the FV, I just cover it loose with a little food wrap. Some may say boring but, I find myself picking it putting it down, holding it to the light, looking at the bubbles, the froth, the sedimentation, the clearing, even a taste. For me a nice little trick especially for noobs.

yes the spray bottle full of star san. When I did my cl buy of most of my gear the guy had that in the tub of stuff....

+1 to a refractometer.

Drill Spoon=Insert a plastic spoon into my drill motor. It speeds up the cooling of wort and aerates it.

If I want a quick and smooth brew day, my trick is brewing alone. Took me over a year to figure that out!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Making a racking arm for my bottling bucket is the most useful thing I've learned from HBT.

I was cleaning out the kegs today and I brushed against (pushing down) on the pressure relief valve's ring and it made a hiss (keg had co2 in it). Pushing down on the ring forces it to pivot and release pressure by a fulcrum action against it's base.

It takes *much* less effort that grabbing the ring and pulling it. I've always just assumed you pull them, maybe I'm an idiot. Not that it's a big deal or anything... I'm not going to save myself tons of "work" this way. It's just an easier way to do something that never occurred to me.

I have four or more canning jars filled with boiled water ready to wash yeast whenever I feel then need to save some. When I have a few min to spare on a non-brew day, I'll boil the jars in the water and just pull them out full of water. I pop some sanitized canning lids on and let them seal themselves. Just don't put them in the fridge and don't boil the lids.

I brew indoors and like to make as little mess as I can. A couple extra cheap buckets to stick stuff in after I use it and carry it to the sink keeps drips off the floor. I store all my stuff (hoses, spoons, paddles, all the tiny stuff) in large clear totes. Keeps them clean in between brews, keeps critters out, makes it easier to find stuff. When brewing I use the lids as "trays" under the pumps to catch any drips that may occur. And lastly getting a pre-rinse spray faucet has made clean up a breeze, don't think I could live without it now.

Oh, and one more for the road: I've only used it a couple times, but the carboy cleaners that go on a drill are worth every penny as well.

I have four or more canning jars filled with boiled water ready to wash yeast whenever I feel then need to save some. When I have a few min to spare on a non-brew day, I'll boil the jars in the water and just pull them out full of water. I pop some sanitized canning lids on and let them seal themselves. Just don't put them in the fridge and don't boil the lids.

I have been boiling my lids and putting the jars of water in the fridge before I wash yeast. Why should I not do those two steps?

+1 refractometer. Glorious piece of gear.

+1 million. For $20-something plus free shipping on Amazon, it's the best small investment I've ever made for my brewing. That plus bobby_m's sight glass gives me total control over my boil and any adjustments that need to be made.

My word of wisdom: DONT WASH YEAST IN WATER.

Its far healthier for the yeast to sit under beer and as youve just fermented a batch, leave a little extra in there to swirl up the cake.

Means you just have to have sanitised jars, less risk of non sterile water.

I have been boiling my lids and putting the jars of water in the fridge before I wash yeast. Why should I not do those two steps?

Boiling the lids is bad for the seal, I think. Ask a canner. I just know you're not supposed to. Putting a sealed glass canning jar of near boiling liquid into to fridge may cause an explosion or implosion.

Back