You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you start buying more commercial beer than you did before you started brewing?
Please tell me I’m not alone.
That's the fun way to acquire empty bottles to fill, is it not?

You know you're a homebrewer when you go to the local brewery and your spouse brags a little about the ribbon you were awarded in a recent competition.

Yep. Keeping bottles is an excuse to try different brands.
I like the New Belgium bottles and getting a stash of them was a reason to try Fat Tire.
Most Awesome Beer Bottles, if you are near Wisconsin....

New Glarus. They have the nice standard bottles, and Water Soluble Labels. Float right off (which may not be real great if you're floating their bottles in a cooler of icy water....)

When you find yourself staring at an actively fermenting carboy like it was a tv...
When you enjoy sniffing a bubbling airlock...
When you hear someone say "IPA" at work and you perk up for a sec, only to disappointingly realize they're talking about isopropyl alcohol...
When you take a handsaw to a former beer fridge in order to create a lagering chamber...(thought I had measured this out beforehand, but didn't account for the shelves on the door, lol...)

You know your a home brewer when you fight with the wife over whether or not to let a pumpkin plant take over the garden so you can make a pumpkin beer with home grow pumpkins for the holidays !! That was yesterday haha!

You know you’re a home brewer when you take August off from brewing because you’re sick of Belgian ales and can’t keep your tanks cool enough for Chico to taste right.

kveik is your friend....

When your wife and children stop asking you what you want for Xmas, Birthday and Father's day, and ask you what new piece of brewing equipment do you want!

Last edited:
When you buy something from an online supplier called justhealthynz.
Never brought form a from this sort of place before, The only reason to was for homebrew so it must be healthy right?

I'm planning to try brewing some kettle sours with L.Plantarium

When the wife and kids go over the neighbors for a cooking party and neighbor comes over to learn how to brew. Join usssssss.....

you're up at 1AM on your couch in the dark with the lights out alone drinking your 4th homebrew for the evening looking for a slightly better price on a ball valve or some other stupid thing.

when you start enjoying lighter styles i.e. blondes, browns, ambers, pales, low abv stouts cuz you're not good enough to make the big barrel aged stouts you so desire

When you look at every single recipe and ask yourself what homebrew you would pair it with... Or cook it with#

When you pull 5 month old yeast slurry out of the fridge on brew day, notice blackish crud under the mason jar lid, but pitch it anyway. Without a starter.

In my defense, I intended to pick up a new pack that day, but the LHBS was closed. The crud was due to O2 exposure above the beer line and (likely) never came in contact. Good news is it kicked off in 24 hours and continued with healthy fermentation.

You're watching a serious news item about the breakdown of global free trade and the possible resolution of the world's longest-running war, and yet all you can think of when you see the car picking up the US President from his hotel in Quebec is :

"Hmmm - Urquell and Fuller's, that could work as a blend."

20180610trumpquebec.jpg

Back