You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
insanim8er said:
Damn I'd hate to squeeze a 10 gallon batch through that mill... Even 5 looks like a bit of a chore.

Patience is the name of the game we participate in with our brewing/winemaking hobby. Having good helpers and learning along the way makes grinding a little grain fun.

Too bad it's not real absinthe sold in the states...

Orly1.jpg

I have 4 different absinthes sitting in my liquor cabinet. Three are of European origin (Lucid, Kubler and Mansinthe) and one made in the U.S. (Delaware Phoenix, from New York). All were purchased here, all are real, and have been distilled using authentic botanicals (i.e., grand wormwood, star anise, etc.).

Yes, you can buy "real" absinthe here. Just don't buy the phony, Czech knockoffs.

zmanzorro said:
Don't start that debate again

Wasn't trying to start a debate. I'm just thinking times are hard and if it makes the resume look better I'm in

I have 4 different absinthes sitting in my liquor cabinet. Three are of European origin (Lucid, Kubler and Mansinthe) and one made in the U.S. (Delaware Phoenix, from New York). All were purchased here, all are real, and have been distilled using authentic botanicals (i.e., grand wormwood, star anise, etc.).

Yes, you can buy "real" absinthe here. Just don't buy the phony, Czech knockoffs.

I bought a bottle of the Czech Absinthe about 10 years ago for around $30.00
Wasnt going to open and drink it until I got out of the military in 2008. It is still sitting in my liquor cabinet unopened. It was the round shaped bottle.

So this bottle is a knock-off? What are the differences? Is it just a conversation piece now or should I drink it? I dont know much about Absinthe, I was just young, dumb and had money burning through my pocket when I bought it....
This bottle...

czech.gif

I bought a bottle of the Czech Absinthe about 10 years ago for around $30.00
Wasnt going to open and drink it until I got out of the military in 2008. It is still sitting in my liquor cabinet unopened. It was the round shaped bottle.

So this bottle is a knock-off? What are the differences? Is it just a conversation piece now or should I drink it? I dont know much about Absinthe, I was just young, dumb and had money burning through my pocket when I bought it....
This bottle...

It might be a knock-off. You can try to search for info on it here. A large number of faux absinthes are made in eastern Europe, particularly the Czech Republic. The difference is the fake stuff is made merely by steeping the botanicals in some kind of neutral grain spirits, and adding some artificial coloring. Real absinthe is distilled from a mash containing the botanicals. Most authentic absinthes are produced in France, Switzerland, Spain and the US.

Spending $30 isn't such a bad deal, if you end up liking it. Crack it open and give it a taste. Pour a shot of it in a wine glass and slowly pour in a few ounces of ice-cold water. (It'll taste better diluted)

It might be a knock-off. You can try to search for info on it here. A large number of faux absinthes are made in eastern Europe, particularly the Czech Republic. The difference is the fake stuff is made merely by steeping the botanicals in some kind of neutral grain spirits, and adding some artificial coloring. Real absinthe is distilled from a mash containing the botanicals. Most authentic absinthes are produced in France, Switzerland, Spain and the US.

Spending $30 isn't such a bad deal, if you end up liking it. Crack it open and give it a taste. Pour a shot of it in a wine glass and slowly pour in a few ounces of ice-cold water. (It'll taste better diluted)

Sounds like it is considered fake due to the process involved... Although I didnt see the exact bottle, I found some info on the Sebor Distillery that might be the same thing.

"This brand is considered 'faux' because it does not follow distillation protocol. Instead, it is an aggressively filtered maceration, which leaves much more of the bitter compounds in wormwood that would not be present in distilled absinthe. It also still relies heavily on thujone marketing."

When the kitchen floor needs scrubbed and instead of scrubbing, you wet it down, sprinkle on some oxcyclean, and then wipe it off a little while later.

When you discover the shelf In the pantry is not strong enough to hold a case of gingerbread ale and do a crazy jump to catch it in time

When you start thinking about the brews/infusions you plan on giving out at christmas time and think "I'd better make a spreadsheet to make sure I don't drink away the holidays"

So far I'm up to 72 beers (5 varieties), 20 mini bottles of infused spirits (limoncello and amaretto), and 4 bottles of wine (cherry). I didn't think I knew that many people :smack:

Hmm, I'll have to check that listing. I've been a bit curios about absinthe, but never had the opportunity.

When you start thinking about the brews/infusions you plan on giving out at christmas time and think "I'd better make a spreadsheet to make sure I don't drink away the holidays"

So far I'm up to 72 beers (5 varieties), 20 mini bottles of infused spirits (limoncello and amaretto), and 4 bottles of wine (cherry). I didn't think I knew that many people :smack:
Haha, definitely done this.

The first time I read that, my brain processed it as 72 BATCHES. Two thoughts ran through my head: Assuming 5 gal batches and 48 bottles/batch...times 72 = metric @$$load of people, and holy crap this guy is going to be busy between now and then!

Hmm, I'll have to check that listing. I've been a bit curios about absinthe, but never had the opportunity.

I know this is veering off-topic here...but what the heck. :off:

Real absinthe is expensive, typically >$60 for a 750ml bottle. If you're not sure you'll like it, find a bar that serves it and try it there before you pay a lot of $$ for a bottle. Many US bars serve it the wrong way (e.g., in shots, sometimes even lit on fire). It tastes really bad straight, and besides, it's over 120 proof.

But when diluted with ice-cold water, about 2:1 or 3:1, it takes on a whole different flavor, and is really tasty. The cold water brings the oils out of solution, yielding its optimal flavor. Ask the bartender to pour a shot into a wine glass and bring you a glass of ice water. Slowly pour in another 2 or 3 ounces. Don't let the ice drop in. Then enjoy. Some people like to add a bit of sugar, but good absinthe shouldn't need it.

The most prominent flavor is star anise, so if you don't like that flavor, you probably won't like absinthe.

But if you end up liking it, the most common brand sold in the U.S. is Lucid. It's pretty good, but there are better ones. Look for Mansinthe (Marilyn Manson's brand), it's very high quality. Kubler is another good one--it's a "blanc," not green. Avoid Le Tourment, it's a faux absinthe and tastes horrible.

I did turn in the same History of Beer in America essay as both History and English term papers in college and got 'A's on both

I owe my degree to that term paper and my TI-92 (couldn't have passed Vector Calc or Differential Equations without it)

When you find yourself sitting in a boring lecture class and you get the idea to open BrewSmith and tweak that weekend's upcoming recipe.

When you realize the last couple brews you did are long secondaries or conditioners and decide you need to do back to back brew days just to make sure you have beer sooner.

When making chili, you wonder if the oils in peppers are like the oils in hops. Do early addition peppers only add to spiciness? Do late addition peppers add aroma?

When walking through walmart and you see the cascade dish washer detergent, the first thing that comes to mind is "I wonder if they use cascade hops in that?"

This actually happened to me last night because I had been reading a thread on here about making a Cascade/Columbus IPA.

:mug:

When making chili, you wonder if the oils in peppers are like the oils in hops. Do early addition peppers only add to spiciness? Do late addition peppers add aroma?

Now we'll have "Scoville peppers" and "aroma peppers." Then after the chili is cooked, we can "dry pepper" just before serving.

I did turn in the same History of Beer in America essay as both History and English term papers in college and got 'A's on both

I owe my degree to that term paper and my TI-92 (couldn't have passed Vector Calc or Differential Equations without it)

Worth sharing with the comunity?

when, after pitching the yeast, you sit on the floor in front of your primary...waiting for the first bubble in the lock.

Back