You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you take crushed barley and soak it in hot water for an hour, drain it off, boil the liquid with hops, then add yeast when it's cooled. and you do this in your home.

Billy-Klubb said:
when you take crushed barley and soak it in hot water for an hour, drain it off, boil the liquid with hops, then add yeast when it's cooled. and you do this in your home.

Oh Yeah, I did this today. Oops, does it still count if I also crushed the barley? :) Yeah, my name is Bob, and I'm a Homrbrewer.

When you start to try to explain beers by your grist selection, IBU's, hop schedules and yeast choice to give people a deeper understanding into your beer and all you get is a deer-in-the-headlights look.

"I tried to take the caramel and chocolate malts and balance it to about 30 IBU's with a mix of english and american hops........"

When you let a friend try your latest brew that you're so proud of and they ask, "can you make something that tastes like bud light?" And, you look at them like they just stepped on your new puppy.

wilsojos said:
When you let a friend try your latest brew that you're so proud of and they ask, "can you make something that tastes like bud light?" And, you look at them like they just stepped on your new puppy.

The correct answer to this question is... NO!

Billy-Klubb said:
that's what I was thinking. how big is your carboy, man?:fro:

In the name of science, I spritzed with starsan and tried to fit it in... The opening of my largest carboy is about 5 times too small for me...

Cultkid said:
In the name of science, I spritzed with starsan and tried to fit it in... The opening of my largest carboy is about 5 times too small for me...

Yeah, I can't even fit it in the top of my five gallon bucket fermenters either. :p

OR.... When your girlfriend says i'm not coming over this weekend if your gonna be in the garage brewing beer. And you say OK i'll see you next weekend.
Almost 4got about this one LOL. I love this thread.

...or you've been brewing one style too much lately to perfect it. And you need to do something different,or revisit one you haven't brewed in a while.

When you're standing in line at the grocery store with 8 gallons of spring water, 2 bags of ice, a bag of sponges and nothing else.

Krovitz said:
When you're standing in line at the grocery store with 8 gallons of spring water, 2 bags of ice, a bag of sponges and nothing else.

+1. Amen, brother! That was me today to begin a Belgian Golden Ale.

When you get weird looks because you have 10 homer buckets in your cart.

And..when you already have a dozen or more homer buckets at home.

I always get strange looks/comments when I buy 5 gallons of apple juice (Apfelwein supplies).

"You must really like apple juice"
"I use it to make apple wine"
"You can do that?"

I always get strange looks/comments when I buy 5 gallons of apple juice (Apfelwein supplies).

"You must really like apple juice"
"I use it to make apple wine"
"You can do that?"

Yeah, got that one too this year when I cleaned the shelf out!

Anyway,

When you start to get anxious because the pipeline has stopped.

Moving soon... Must. Not. Brew. New. Batches...

When folks are wondering how to get marshmallow flavor in a chocolate grahm cracker beer or other & you give it serious thought.

When you have jars of yeast starters in your pocket to get them to room temperature.

When you try to convince your wife that spending more money for a malt grinder, 2 lb of hops and 100+lb of grain is a great thing, and will save money in the long run (gas money, shipping, etc). I think I'm getting somewhere with her....

When your wife gets pissed at you every morning for having 600 ibs of grains in homer buckets in your walk in closet.

...My girlfriend said the other day

GF: "I like our buckets"
Me: "Why is that"
GF: "I dunno, I just like them"

lol. maybe its because they aren't taking up room she uses for clothes.

...My girlfriend said the other day

GF: "I like our buckets"
Me: "Why is that"
GF: "I dunno, I just like them"

lol. maybe its because they aren't taking up room she uses for clothes.

Yeah I took a bunch of my clothes to good will to make room for my buckets. So it didn't take away anything from her other than she has to look at them every time she walks in there.

So I have another -
You know your a home brewer when you own a 50 ib sack of rice hulls .... And yes I do have a 50 ib sack of rice hulls too.

I under estimated how many rice hulls are in a 50ib sack. Lets just say it is a life time supply even for a serious home brewer. They really compress them into the sack.

When you buy a case of Grolsch for bottle inventory and are disappointed in two ways: they are not swing-tops and the beer is not a fave. Case should come with a label: capped bottles.

It has probably been said before, but oh well....When the first thing you do when you get home from a long day at work is run to check on your fermenter to make sure the yeast are having a good day....Then you check on your 8 month pregnant wife and 2 year old to see how they are doing. Oops!

When...your 33rd Anniversary falls on a Saturday and you spend 10 hours brewing a 10 gallon batch, dubbing it the 'Anniversary IPA', even though you know she prefers a Belgian Wheat.

When you return triumphant, after hitting every number, she says: "It's too late to go out to dinner", and you say to yourself: "It could have gone worse, at least I hit the numbers".

You buy kegging equipment in February and tell your wife, "Happy Valentines Day!"
OR
You look at the 3 keg kegerator (yes, the one you bought for your wife for Valentines day) and you are pissed it doesn't hold 5 kegs

When you have jars of yeast starters in your pocket to get them to room temperature.

You either have really big pockets, or make really small starters!

When you build a 1bbl HERMS System, have a monthly brewing budget that usually doesn't hold, and wait until after dark to sneak to the farmers field down the road to dump your spent grain!

When your wife is at a conference and brings you this back as a souvenir

ForumRunner_20130312_124134.jpg

When your 12YO daughter crushed the grain for you the last trip to the LHBS.
And the store employees gave her a free "I brew my own beer" bumper sticker.

Or when the same daughter samples grain with you and gives educated opinions on which is best/better.

You buy kegging equipment in February and tell your wife, "Happy Valentines Day!"
OR
You look at the 3 keg kegerator (yes, the one you bought for your wife for Valentines day) and you are pissed it doesn't hold 5 kegs

1st law of kegerators: You'll always need a bigger kegerator.

Back