You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man... and all I got was a woman who likes to work hard and bring home a big paycheck...

You guys are so lucky!!

Yeah, for real. All this bragging about the wife going to the LHBS and blah blah blah. And I'm just sitting here laughing cause my wife is working her @ss off to become a dentist, and after that she's encouraging me to think about opening up my own brew store, brew pub, or microbrewery. Poor guys.

When your shift at work of manning a Psychiatric Observation Cell means you plan out a brewing schedule for the next 6+ months.

I have the brew dates, bottling dates, and ready to drink dates for my next 6 or 7 batches planned out lol

That is not only the sign of a home Brewer but someone with OCD!

Man... and all I got was a woman who likes to work hard and bring home a big paycheck...

You guys are so lucky!!
Yeah, for real. All this bragging about the wife going to the LHBS and blah blah blah. And I'm just sitting here laughing cause my wife is working her @ss off to become a dentist, and after that she's encouraging me to think about opening up my own brew store, brew pub, or microbrewery. Poor guys.

Oh, were we taking this seriously? I thought we were being tongue-in-cheek.

Nobody's insulting your wives, guys. :)

Mine was meant to be tongue in cheek. Meaning you think your wife's awesomely supporting your brewing habits, mine's wanting me to go pro in some way with it!

;) you know classic mine is better than yours stories.

Hey, I WAS being serious (mostly)!

You have a partner who either shares your passion for Brewing or actively encourages your pursuit of a dream of opening a LHBS . What's not to be jealous of there??

Mine just comes home as says: Is there anything to drink? (Which for most of us homebrewers might be a challenge or an insult....)

Mine was meant to be tongue in cheek. Meaning you think your wife's awesomely supporting your brewing habits, mine's wanting me to go pro in some way with it!

;) you know classic mine is better than yours stories.

Can I drink for free if it happens? Oh, and i'll need a place to stay. And some plane tickets, and....

Can I drink for free if it happens? Oh, and i'll need a place to stay. And some plane tickets, and....

Even though you could by all means just be some kinda serial killer who pretends to homebrew, if I ever started a brewpub or a microbrewery, I would offer to cover everything but the plane ticket. My wife's also an amazing cook. And by that time, we should have a big enough house.

speaking of SWMBOs being all for beer. Tonight I had an evening shift but she was home alone. She told me yesterday she was planning on having a beer, but I assumed it was gonna be her disgusting licorice beer - the same one that I told her had to be designed to be around 8% because it was a saison style. ;) Tonight she decided she would try out what I had on keg. Happened to be a black IPA that was over 9%! haha joke's on her.

Or race cars
Or airplanes
Or a whole crapload of things

hahaha, I hope you mean RC planes. I could imagine that if one has the money for a hobby in airplanes, they could likely easily afford to homebrew with all sorts of fancy equipment!

Also, I think that would be a way cooler hobby than homebrewing.

"Hey man, I've been thinking of getting a new hobby. What do you do for fun on your free time?"

"Airplanes."

my BiL just got his pilots license. it's only kind of expensive, you have to pay for flight instruction and renting a plane, but it's not totally prohibitive.

I'm sure owning a plane is expensive, but you don't have to own one to fly

hahaha, I hope you mean RC planes. I could imagine that if one has the money for a hobby in airplanes, they could likely easily afford to homebrew with all sorts of fancy equipment!

Also, I think that would be a way cooler hobby than homebrewing.

"Hey man, I've been thinking of getting a new hobby. What do you do for fun on your free time?"

"Airplanes."
Like homebrewing...flying can be (within reason) as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. Part ownership in an inexpensive to maintain 4 seat aircraft is surprisingly affordable.

Even cheaper is a kit plane because after it gets its airworthiness cert, you can do all the maintenance yourself. Of course it is normally infinitely cheaper because you never finish building it and so have not fuel, insurance, etc costs.

Like homebrewing...flying can be (within reason) as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. Part ownership in an inexpensive to maintain 4 seat aircraft is surprisingly affordable.

Even cheaper is a kit plane because after it gets its airworthiness cert, you can do all the maintenance yourself. Of course it is normally infinitely cheaper because you never finish building it and so have not fuel, insurance, etc costs.

My great uncle had a prop plane he could fold the wings back and tow it home to his garage for storage. At the time I thought that was really weird then I started to talking with my grandpa more about working for GE and learned about some of the projects he worked on.

my BiL just got his pilots license. it's only kind of expensive, you have to pay for flight instruction and renting a plane, but it's not totally prohibitive.

I'm sure owning a plane is expensive, but you don't have to own one to fly

I don't believe in bucket lists (what happens when you complete it :eek:), but I've always wanted to do this.

A number of years ago I inquired as to the cost of getting a license, including instruction, plane rental, gas, etc. and the cost was about $5000. Don't know what it is today but with the price of fuel down, I can't imagine it being much different if not cheaper.

It all looks so deliciously complicated I just want to solve all the mysteries associated with it. Sort of like brewing. :)

re: bucket lists...

mine is always evolving. if I check something off on it, there's always a follow-up, so I'll never complete it.

for instance, I've been to several Redskins' games, but never against the Cowboys, so that was on the list. then, on November 20, 2011, I got to scratch that off the list and replace it with "see the Redskins BEAT the Cowboys"

I don't believe in bucket lists (what happens when you complete it :eek:), but I've always wanted to do this.

A number of years ago I inquired as to the cost of getting a license, including instruction, plane rental, gas, etc. and the cost was about $5000. Don't know what it is today but with the price of fuel down, I can't imagine it being much different if not cheaper.

It all looks so deliciously complicated I just want to solve all the mysteries associated with it. Sort of like brewing. :)

Flying is simple. Flying cross-country on instruments is hard (double hard if you are using old school things like ADF). Also, unless you learned to fly in somewhere like Oklahoma (yours truly) heavy crosswind landings are...challenging.

Just like brewing though, once you "master" the basics there are always new challenges.

Flying is simple. Flying cross-country on instruments is hard (double hard if you are using old school things like ADF). Also, unless you learned to fly in somewhere like Oklahoma (yours truly) heavy crosswind landings are...challenging.

Just like brewing though, once you "master" the basics there are always new challenges.

You learned to fly in OK? Where at?

You think the wind there is crazy, you should move to Stavanger, Norway.

I always use to be able to one-up people that talked about crazy weather. I mean who could beat blizz-quake-nado? Nobody, that's who. But holy **** the weather in this city is crazy. There's times I'll be riding home from work and a gust during the intense sustained winds is so hard that it actually makes my bike come to a halt. I was on the football field this evening, and during a stretch the wind knocked me and a couple of other guys over. There was no passing game to speak of during this practice.

disgusting licorice beer

*looks in vain for vomit emoji*

Only a masochist would want that inflicted upon them.

Anyway, when saying "I'll clean the kitchen" means 90% that "I'll clean up the brewing mess I created."

*looks in vain for vomit emoji*

Only a masochist would want that inflicted upon them.

Yeah tell me about it. Floccing Norwegians and their licorice. The base beer was actually pretty good, and if I liked licorice, it was actually a good beer. She thoroughly enjoys it. I try small sips in order to try to get a grasp on the ingredients that weren't the licorice. Can't stomach much more than that though.

You learned to fly in OK? Where at?
Wiley Post and Okmulgee to do my solo at 16 (Civil Air Patrol encampment). Then Stillwater to my private. Out to Embry Riddle in Prescott, AZ when I thought I wanted to make a living at it. Back to OSU Tulsa when I realized I could not afford to become a professional pilot in the 1990's.

My highlight has nothing to do with my training. While working as a Contractor in Iraq our security company used a Porter Pilatus (ancient) PC-6 to get us in and out of smaller camps/build sites. After watching the pilot do a few of the 1-300ft STOL landings he let me do a couple touch and go's out in the Jordanian desert. Nailed an 88' upwind landing! Reverse pitch and approximate 4000 degrees of flaps is awesome!

Wiley Post and Okmulgee to do my solo at 16 (Civil Air Patrol encampment). Then Stillwater to my private. Out to Embry Riddle in Prescott, AZ when I thought I wanted to make a living at it. Back to OSU Tulsa when I realized I could not afford to become a professional pilot in the 1990's.

My highlight has nothing to do with my training. While working as a Contractor in Iraq our security company used a Porter Pilatus (ancient) PC-6 to get us in and out of smaller camps/build sites. After watching the pilot do a few of the 1-300ft STOL landings he let me do a couple touch and go's out in the Jordanian desert. Nailed an 88' upwind landing! Reverse pitch and approximate 4000 degrees of flaps is awesome!

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds amazing! I'm from Tulsa, which is why I asked. Two things I wanted to be growing up more than anything else: A pilot, and a storm chaser. The one that remains on my bucket list is to get my pilot's license.

Yeah tell me about it. Floccing Norwegians and their licorice. The base beer was actually pretty good, and if I liked licorice, it was actually a good beer. She thoroughly enjoys it. I try small sips in order to try to get a grasp on the ingredients that weren't the licorice. Can't stomach much more than that though.

I'm especially biased because I can't stand any of those sickly-sweet spice flaovored liquers, either. Jager, Aftershock, Goldschlager, Sambuca - they're all nauseating hangover potions, for me. The idea of frankensteining a beer into one of those is just.....egch!

Are we talking St. Patty's day? If not, I think you forgot to hit "post" a couple months ago.

Yeah. This Irish Red is pretty good.

Or you could say...

Brewing a beer style too soon and finishing it before the "appropriate" season.

...when you try to explain to your co-co-workers (who dont brew) what makes Brett so special.

I think that I was talking about an actual person..

I'm especially biased because I can't stand any of those sickly-sweet spice flaovored liquers, either. Jager, Aftershock, Goldschlager, Sambuca - they're all nauseating hangover potions, for me. The idea of frankensteining a beer into one of those is just.....egch!

Weirdly enough, I can enjoy a small glass of Jäger next to a glass of a crisp, light, macro, European pilsner.

reminds me of drinking aquavit in Denmark and trying to talk some homeless guy into jumping off a bridge

good times

When you see SMASH is the brand of your kids drink bottles and chuckle to think why a vendor would think children would find that appealing
"Yeah mate my 2 yr old really relishes his galaxy smash".....

Latest posts

Back