You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your swmbo girlfriends taste your IIPA...... screaming " This tastes like cat vomit!!!"

----and you are thinking ......."isolate ´cat vomit´ .... and add MORE....'

You become 'aware' after an accident and the only thing that you want to do is brew some beer for summer time events only to find out june and july are already gone and you have been reading and posting to Home Brew Talk while you were unaware of the world around you.
If you are willing to share, I think this post warrants some more detail, and possibly its own thread...

Glad you're doing better! Gonna pour a pint of porter in your honour. Cheers!

If you are willing to share, I think this post warrants some more detail, and possibly its own thread...

Glad you're doing better! Gonna pour a pint of porter in your honour. Cheers!

Lol. I was at my cabin, working the first week of June... planned on staying there for the week and leave on Saturday for my youngest sons graduation party. Last thing I remember was dragging branches to the burn pile on Tuesday or Wednesday. On Saturday my wife texts me about graduation and I apparently told her I needed a ride. She came and got me and figured out that I was messed up. I ended up in the hospital with a head injury (read bleeding on the brain ), damaged 4th or 5th cranial nerve (which ever one goes to eyes.) Tore every tendon in my right shoulder. So needless to say i have new steel hardware in my shoulder (i get that out in November when I am supposed to be hanging Christmas lights ).
So no Christmas lights this year....
Anyway on to other things. ... anyone have a easy extract recipe that a one armed bandit with the endurance of a 18 year old boys 'first time' could make. Has to be simple maybe some grains for color and flavor. Also needs to be kegged by the beginning of November.

Ooh… that sucks. Il dig through some of my early recipes and see what I come up with. I'd suggest (and this is hard to say) grab a coopers/mr. beer kit and some steeping grains.

Lol. I was at my cabin, working the first week of June... planned on staying there for the week and leave on Saturday for my youngest sons graduation party. Last thing I remember was dragging branches to the burn pile on Tuesday or Wednesday. On Saturday my wife texts me about graduation and I apparently told her I needed a ride. She came and got me and figured out that I was messed up. I ended up in the hospital with a head injury (read bleeding on the brain ), damaged 4th or 5th cranial nerve (which ever one goes to eyes.) Tore every tendon in my right shoulder. So needless to say i have new steel hardware in my shoulder (i get that out in November when I am supposed to be hanging Christmas lights ).
Anyway on to other things. ... anyone have a easy extract recipe that a one armed bandit with the endurance of a 18 year old boys 'first time' could make. Has to be simple maybe some grains for color and flavor. Also needs to be kegged by the beginning of November.
Damn that's a wild story man. Coulda been worse I guess? Cant go wrong with a Caribou Slobber extract kit from Northern Brewer. Reckon I could do it one handed if I had too. Cheers

Damn that's a wild story man. Coulda been worse I guess? Cant go wrong with a Caribou Slobber extract kit from Northern Brewer. Reckon I could do it one handed if I had too. Cheers

Looking for an actual recipe (5 gallon), since i keg i don't need the extra things that come with a kit.... would have a tough time bottling anyway, lol... there is an idea for someone inventive.... one handed bottle capper mounted to a table.

I can't be the only one doing this one handed.... although I am not completely one handed just can't lift much and the more I use that arm the faster i have to sit down and take a break because I can't focus on what I am doing. More to do with the nerve damage than the arm. :off:

So back on topic. ... Even though you have no energy and can only stand for about 15 minutes at a time you still have the desire to brew.

Dude you got some high pain tolerance ability. Wife should not leave you alone at the cabin again. I have stopped doing some projects at the house if I am alone just for the situation that happened to you.

Looking for an actual recipe (5 gallon), since i keg i don't need the extra things that come with a kit.... would have a tough time bottling anyway, lol... there is an idea for someone inventive.... one handed bottle capper mounted to a table.

Northern Brewer lists the recipe and instructions for most of their kits, so if you are looking for an easy recipe, just look through the extract kits on their website and, if you find one that sounds good, see if its recipe is listed.

Dude you got some high pain tolerance ability. Wife should not leave you alone at the cabin again. I have stopped doing some projects at the house if I am alone just for the situation that happened to you.

Lol don't tell her that, i will never get the cabin finished. More to the story i just didn't want to hijack this thread.

Back on topic. .... you know that you are a home brewer when your wife walks in the room and says, "really. ... how much can you possibly learn about brewing beer?" When she see you are reading Home Brew Talk again.

PS she is the best. ... and the one that got me started brewing beer, thought I needed a hobby about 8 years ago.:tank:

Have you tried it? I see a bunch of people who say it loses flavor after a bit... you ever see any recipes similar.

back to topic. .... you know you are a home brewer when the first thin friends ask when they come over is "what's on tap?".

When your company flies everyone from all over the country to the home office where you work and 20-30 show up at the hotel after dinner to try your beer and visit. Some even said they like mine better than thier local craft brew.

Good night for a home brewer!!!

Hope you get back to 'normal' soon. Hold on to that bride of yours!!! Buddy of mine had a bad accident one year ago today. It's a rough road.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. .... yea it sucks the other day i had to get out of the house (stir crazy ) so i went to the grocery store with the swmbo, I ended up sitting on the stacks of bud at the grocery store. .. felt like such an ass for trying to too much. Definitely not going to give up the wife, it has been 23 years after all.

Back on topic. ..... you know your a home brewer when you spend more time on 'Home Brew Talk' than you do any other website.

When you have at least two refrigerator's/freezers and only one of them contains food. :D

Lol I second that..... my extra fridge has an empty keg in it. It was emptied some time in June, so I have been told. Still plugged in and running and SWMBO hasn't complained about it once.

When you have to explain to your significant other that the oven can't be used for a few days... because you are using it to sour wort.

There must be a better way!

Actually, our oven keeps wort at a perfect 110° and fits 5 gallons of wort. Without spending more money, I certainly can't think of a better way.

It helps that we have a large side-by-side oven so only one is out of commission!

Ok now DAT's funny **** der
Gotta love a good pun.

When you are looking at all the waste cabinetry and shtuff at the work neighbor's office thinking, "dammit, why am I not building the brew shed yet? I could use a lot of this" and damn near cry when it all goes in the dump truck cuz ya got nowhere to store it in the interim.

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

I have some I'm using for a brewpi setup I might see if I can find controller lying around here somewhere and see if I can get it to set at 110

I can't be the only one doing this one handed.... although I am not completely one handed just can't lift much and the more I use that arm the faster i have to sit down and take a break because I can't focus on what I am doing. More to do with the nerve damage than the arm. :off:

So back on topic. ... Even though you have no energy and can only stand for about 15 minutes at a time you still have the desire to brew.

You could try this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

Thanks, that sounds good. I usually make hot spiced ciders during the holidays topped off with CB Brandy .... maybe this will work instead. :D

I'd think it would be perfect unless you had a reptile dysfunction ;)
This?

1412263999862.jpg

Back