Yikes, I didn't completely close Carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddyo1109

Reaction score
:confused: Ok, so here's the thing. I had the sparged, cooled wort in the carboy, topped up to 5 gallons, and had just added the yeast when my in-laws showed up to drive us to the ball game last night. So I slapped the lid on, took the carboy downstairs into the cool basement, popped the airlock on top and left for the game.
This morning when I looked I didn't see any bubbles in the airlock, so I checked the lid and found it slightly open. I've read about wild yeasts and open fermentation, but I'm making Coffee Stout and not a Sour lambic soo..
Should I worry or not?

Nope, don't worry. Bugs (yeast, bacteria, dust) don't have wings and can't fly into your fermenter. Plus, once fermentation begins there is positive pressure inside so nothing is getting in that can't fly really well.

You're all good. Coffee stout it will be :D

On a related note, I've had Lagunita's SoCo Stout (Sonoma County Stout) which is a soured stout and it's FANTASTIC!!

Yup- you're good. Bacteria aren't ninjas (as another forum member likes to say) and plus, you've probably got positive pressure from fermentation going on in there pushing out.

Back