Yet another "What is this in my Carboy" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnchorBock

Reaction score
Second batch of mead, first tasted terrible! I'm hoping things go well with this one. I started it on Saturday, it's just a 1 gallon batch with 2 lbs of clover honey, nutrient, engergizer and Lalvin D-47. I added more Energizer and Nutrient (little less then 1/4 teaspoon of each) on Sunday and aerated a little bit and on Monday night I noticed this started forming in the neck of the carboy and it got more pronounced today (pic taken tonight, 4 days into primary):

Any need to worry? It could easily be nutrient that didn't get mixed in well I think because I just dropped it in and slowly tipped the carboy with a solid stopper until there was no nutrient sitting on top anymore. Thanks for any replies.

To me, it looks like your mead foamed up a bit during vigorous fermentation while you weren't looking, then settled back down again leaving a trail on the bottle. I had similar...whatever you call it... on the mead carboy of my MAOM and that turned out just fine *hiccup*.

It does not look like anything to worry about. If you are ever worried about infection, check out the infection thread and see what REAL trouble looks like: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/
Granted, most of the posts in that thread are about beers not meads, but you still get the point.

Anyone ever get infected mead around here?

I had a similar looking thing with my Graff's cider. Fermentation really kicked up, foamed, receded, and left something looking like that. I wouldn't worry.

Back