Yet another Newbie Carbing/Serving Question post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccumath

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I purchased a Brew-Logic single keg/regulator/tank setup from Midwest Supplies here a few weeks ago, installed it into my new kegerator, and kegged up some Raspberry Wheat that I brewed. I racked to my keg on Wednesday night (9/14). I have been trying out the "set it and forget it," reviewed Bobby's Kegging with Illustrations post, and have tried to find the answers to my questions here before posting. However, I continue to have some questions regarding this set up, and want to determine whether I am on the right track or not regarding my keg set-up.

1.) According to the chart I have been following, for my American Wheat beer, I should have 2.3-2.6 volumes of CO2 in my keg to appropriately carbonate it. Therefore, my regulator should be set to 12 psi, according to the chart, which gives me 2.47 volumes at 40 degrees. Does everyone agree?

2.) It should take approximately 2 weeks to carbonate at this setting? According to Bobby, this holds true in his discussion on carbonating kegs. Currently my beer has been flat, no head whatsoever, has only been a couple days so I assume I have been entirely too impatient...

3.) I have seen several different discussions about serving pressures. Some people say 3psi, some say 12psi, some say higher than that. I am trying to get a feel for my system and what I need, but an average starting point would be great. I have 5 feet of line, connected to a 525ss Perlick tap, with QD fittings on the keg end of the line. This should give me 3psi of resistance/foot (15 psi of resistance?) in my beer line, which means I should have a serving pressure close to 15 psi? Wouldn't this over-carbonate my beer, as my initial settings are 12 psi? I can adjust my regulator, but I don't have much line to trim off if.

If this has been covered somewhere else in different posts, point me in the right direction please. Otherwise, as always, thanks for your help! Greatly appreciated!

Ryan M.

1. I agree
2. I know it's hard to wait but it will pay off. I have over carbonated a beer before because I was impatient and it can be a bit of a pain.
3. I have Perlicks on 5 feet of hose and I serve at my carbonation pressure and I haven't had any trouble.

Do you have a tap tower? If so I would recommend one of the coolers for the tower, it's great for keeping the foam down when I pour.

1. yes.
2. It takes more than a couple days to perceive any carbonation but even when you do, it's going to be far less than the chart target until you get near 2 weeks. I think some folks are bad as estimating how much carbonation they have and if it builds up some head during the pour "it's carbonated"... but not really.

3. Serving pressure is the same as the chart pressure. You adjust your line length to handle pouring at this pressure. In my case, I have 8 and 9 foot lines and for some beers, it's a little too long but I don't care because it just slows the pour down.

Back