Yet another Keezer build begins...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
/agree. Looks like a great build so far. I just started brewing. Looking at making a Ferm. Chamber and Jockey Box 1st.

Looking good! can't wait to see the finished product. Like the cabot stain. I used Cabernet on mine,lol.

I just need to get home early enough to actually do the stain... hoping tomorrow. Glad to hear you like the stain.

i did something of the same coller but added the r-tech insulation from lowes, ten bucks for a 1"X4'X8' board and rancho temp controll and after reaching temp the freezer kicks on twice an hour...

i did something of the same coller but added the r-tech insulation from lowes, ten bucks for a 1"X4'X8' board and rancho temp controll and after reaching temp the freezer kicks on twice an hour...

I agree. The insulation makes A HUGE difference in my keezers performance. I'm so glad I used it.

Finally got around to staining the collar yesterday, though I got a little carried away on the front and over stained/brushed for too long trying to smooth it out, and ended up with some dark blotchy patches. The sides look really nice, I probably shouldn't have started with the front of it (doh!), and the colour is exactly what I wanted. So tonight I will be lightly sanding it down to redo that part. I'm wondering that since it is oil based, if I may not be able to use some laquer thinner to wipe off the excess (even though it's dry). I'll be trying this first, as it seems that excess stain built up on top of the original coat. I've never stained before and I tried to put a little on top of what I had done about 30 mins previously as a patch seemed too light and then made a big mess out of it. I still need to put the finisher on it too, but I'm hoping by the end of the week to be relatively done. I'll get some pics of the staining up later.

My shanks should be coming in today or tomorrow, and the drip tray by the end of the week. Now I just need the beer to be done... :p I kegged my Irish Red last night, but that was only 2 weeks in primary, so it'll need a couple of weeks before I put it in the keezer. I'll be kegging my English IPA this coming weekend, and I just started up my dunkelweizen yesterday, which will be my fourth filled keg! Then I need to get a couple more kegs so I can brew up a couple of batches ahead of time with the expectation that when I have the keezer breaking in party I may kick a keg or two...

If your finish is a little thick, steel wool can help even it out without scratching up the wood too much. Clean up with air or tack cloth, and a very light coat of stain.

And yeah, the 45 degree setting is pretty much guaranteed to be off a bit. Even on a saw that I've gotten dialed in for previous projects, I usually need to start with test cuts and micro adjustments before I can make clean corners.

Couldn't you just turn it around, so the "front" becomes the back? Or are there fundamental differences between the front and back boards?

Some laquer thinner took it down and I refinished the front. There are differences in the front/back pieces, I have blocks on the back to thicken where the hinge will screw in and the I liked the grain on the piece I used for the front better. Here it is:
IMG_17621.JPG

I still need to do the sealant coat and then it'll be finished. I got the shanks in today and I'm hoping to have the collar installed, and the holes drilled by the end of the week.

Looks good man. I'm looking to get a black freezer and do a nice dark stain as well. Can't wait to see it finished!

I don't like the grey weather stripping... it was cheap and what I could find at the time, but I'll fix it eventually. Also the lid isn't attached yet, I got some crappy hinges and decided I want to order the hinges for the freezer.
IMG_1763.JPG

Woot! Just turned it on for the first time, it's cooling right now. I also set my first brew to 'set and forget' carbonate, though I did hook up the beer line so I can sample and see how it's coming along. I had my first pull from the tap right after connecting it, just to see where the beer was, and I'm quite impressed with my nut brown! I think it smelled quite nutty and it tasted pretty good, albeit it warm and flat. Got to rack the English IPA to the keg tonight and slowly I will be adding more beer into the keezer in time for the inaugural keezer party on Feb 20th. Can't wait!

Gremlyn1, I also plan on using a Kenmore 8.8 cu ft. Freezer to build my first Keezer. Do you happen to have the internal dimensions of that bad boy or would you mind taking them for me? Even the length of the outer wall to the inner wall would be extremely helpful. Sears and Kenmore product support groups weren't able to help. I'd be forever in your debt!!! :)

Gremlyn1, I also plan on using a Kenmore 8.8 cu ft. Freezer to build my first Keezer. Do you happen to have the internal dimensions of that bad boy or would you mind taking them for me? Even the length of the outer wall to the inner wall would be extremely helpful. Sears and Kenmore product support groups weren't able to help. I'd be forever in your debt!!! :)

The interior measurements I have are:
35.75" long x 16.25" wide x 29.25" deep
The hump is 11" long, and 10" high, on the left side.

Hope that helps!

Good job man. I eventually plan on doing something similar to what you've got. I guess for now my 2 tap kegerator will have to do. My only advice is to keep your pipeline full so you always get to have all 4 taps running. I think having only four taps at a time is a good idea because with only four kegs in the keezer, you can lager/cold crash in there as well.

Great build,
J

Put the final touches on tonight! I ordered an extra set of hinges to attach the lid to the collar properly, and those are no installed and I am very happy. There are four beers inside that are progressing nicely :)

I know this is an older thread, but I was looking at the Kenmore 8.8 in black also. I noticed that it had a temperature alarm on it. Did yours also? If it did, does it cause a problem to disconnect it? Anybody else know?

It did not cause a problem to disocnnect it. It has an independent on/off switch for it anyway.

Back