Yet another hop stopper / filter idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaba

Reaction score
Has anyone ever constructed/found a large scale version of something like this?
BJ44L.jpg

or
TmWBX.jpg

It would have to be large enough to fill the entire pot/kettle and also fit an immersion chiller inside of it. You would just throw all of your hops in the boil and chill like normal, and then pull the entire basket out when you're done, taking the hops and cold break with.

I would assume someone has tried this, but I couldn't find any real good information on it.

paint strainer still seems like the easiest and cheapest way to go...

I have a paint strainer/pvc/bolt thing that works pretty well, but I am still trying to find something that will give me full hop utilization. I feel like I am still missing a bit when I use the paint strainer. A mesh basket the size of the pot would seems like it would be the way to go, easier to clean out too.

I've saw a thread a while back where someone built something very similar to your first picture. They had ordered stainless mesh from Mcmaster and made it into a cylinder. They added the mesh bottom and sewed it together. It was relatively large and sat in the middle of their kettle, but was only meant for hops. I don't think they were putting an IC in it or trying to catch cold break. I've searched the forum for it myself but haven't had any luck finding it again. Perhaps someone else has seen it or can find it...

I'd be interested to see how it does with cold break....there's so much surface area though, it shouldn't be a problem. Will you also use your basket as a mash tun?

It definitely could be used for mashing, but I was thinking for hops/break material only since I already have a full all grain setup.

Also, Does anyone know of a cheap source for stainless mesh or screen? It looks like I'll have to build this myself

Ebay has good deals...look on McMaster to get a feel for what size mesh you want (30x30 seems to be good) and you can probably get a deal on Ebay.

Alright, I've got a 3'x4' chunk of stainless mesh and some stainless wire on the way, we'll see what I can put together.

Large SS mesh baskets are $$$$$$. I've looked at stock sizes that cost $200+ but were to small for my set up. Custom made ones were $300+.

It's probably best to line a stockpot steamer basket...they come with the stockpots...what better way to use them?

Back