Yet another first beer thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekoman

Reaction score
Recipe was a "brown ale" kit I got from Rocky Top Home Brewing supply in Olympia, WA.

[Would insert recipe here, but it was just one of their standard kits, nothing special.]

Performed standard steps, transferred it into first glass carboy. SG = 1.021
Lots of activity, seemed to be doing well.

Checked on carboy after first week. (SG = 1.011 after 4 days, 1.010 after 7, figured it was done fermenting) Saw that there was a *ton* of green crap floating on the top of the carboy. Tasting these, realized they were the hops (bittering and other) floating on the top. This was because I had forgotten to FILTER the wort when I poured it into the first carboy.

Transferred to second carboy (filtering it this time!). Made second mistake of adding my 3/4c priming sugar to this carboy.
Activity was immediate. Put fermentation cap on it, let it set for 2 weeks.

Checked secondary fermenter after two weeks, SG = 1.008 for two days running. Added 3/4c additional priming sugar, bottled using the bale-style ("Grolsch") bottles. 22oz + 2 x 2l growlers. (5 gallons total bottles, all except one of the growlers were filled properly.

Waited 1.5 weeks, test opened one of the 22oz bottles. Good carbonation, good solid head, clear brown color. Very hoppy for a brown ale, tasted fairly strong, but I haven't taken a ABV reading yet. (suspect it's between 5-8% due to me "triple fermenting" it) The hoppyness is a direct result of my error in not filtering when putting it in the primary carafe, the ABV is probably because of the added sugar. All my SG measurements for this beer are most likely way off because I forgot to filter it (particulates, extra sugars, operator error, among other things, probably threw the SG off a bit.) But since this was my first time, I was mostly concentrating on the process, the second batch I have in my carboys is a bit more exact.

All in all though, tasted AWESOME for a first attempt, and what is likely a "green" beer. I look forward to drinking it during Super Bowl weekend.

Total time: Few hours to make it, 10 days in primary, 17 days in secondary, and at least 21 days in bottle.

Probably going to bottle my "Scottish Brown Ale" SB Sunday (5 weeks in primary, already smells really good.)

Sounds great for a first attempt! If the hops are a bit overpowering, they'll likely mellow with age. I'm glad that the extra sugar added didn't make it too dry. Here's hoping it'll taste even better come game day! :mug:

Your original gravity is quite low. Its actually probably a good thing that you messed up and added that extra sugar, otherwise you may have overhopped for the sugar that was there. Unfortunately, you won't be able to calculate the ABV short of sending it to a lab, because you don't have a gravity reading for after dosing it with sugar.

Glad it's drinkable though. That alone is a victory.

Update: After the full 3 weeks in the bottle, this stuff turned out pretty amazing for my first beer. Very tasty, bubbly, what I'm going to call a good color, foam, etc. :)

Well, I think it tastes really good, but since I made it I am probably biased. :)

brownale.jpg

Now to bottle my next batch, and take a stab at an oatmeal stout for my third beer.

Dang, this hobby is addicting and fun. :)

Nice work! Sounds like an interesting first brew experience. My first beer was supposed to be a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, and it came out nothing at all like Sierra Nevada... It actually had a weird taste to it, to be honest, but I drank all of it! That was seven batches and almost one year ago, and I went from extract to partial mash, and my seventh batch was all-grain. It's amazing how quickly this hobby grabs hold of you, and how much you want to keep learning about it to improve your beers. Good luck with your next brew!

Heck, I've only drank 3 of the 22oz "Grolsch" style bottles out of 5 gallons (various times as I wanted to see what it tasted like at various stages)...lots of beer left. :)

Back