Yet Another Contamination Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getout13

Reaction score
Im brewing a DFH 60 min clone. ( my 2nd brew btw ) I think things went very well during the boil, and my home made wort chiller (immursion) seemed to work very well. primary went just as it should. Last night I racked into my secondary and this morning I noticed some white clusters on the top of my brew. It could just be karausen, or the yeast... but being a newbie, and REALLY looking forward to tasting the 60 min clone, im sweating a little bit, worried about an infection. I cant think of anything that I overlooked while sanitizing. The only problem may have been that I didnt crush my hop plugs before I put them into a hop bag for dry hopping, and had to crush them up, and cram them through by carboy opening with my bare hands that were un- washed... but its not as if my hands were particularly dirty. I used Wyeast 1187 (ringwood ale). has anyone had a similar case while brewing the 60 min clone.... or other beers. I didnt notice any sour smells...
Thanks!

Yes. I let it sit in the primary for 5 days. Had no real bubble action after about 3 days in the primary, however, I did not take a SG reading to verify

Yes. I let it sit in the primary for 5 days. Had no real bubble action after about 3 days in the primary, however, I did not take a SG reading to verify

Well, then you don't know if it was done fermenting then...bubbling is NOT a good gauge of fermentation.

5 days is WAY too soon to have racked, especially a big beer like that.

"Bubbling action" is not a good way to tell if anything is happening, plenty of beers ferment without a single bubble from the airlock.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years..

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2. And the peak of fermentation has already wound down, so there's simply no need to vent off any excess co2.

The bubbling just means that it is venting excess CO2, nothing more. If it's not bubbling, that only means that it is not producing enough co2 to need to vent.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped---It doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started....

If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.

If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

You'll be much happier if you get out of the habit of connecting anything to airlock bubbling....you will find that fermentations rarely don't take off, or just Stop...In fact I've never had a beer not ferment. BUT half of my fermentations, spread out across 9 different fermenters, never blip once in the airlock.

I'm 100% sure you will have a krausen forming.

Hmmm... thanks for the heads up! I've always heard that you can rack into the secondary a day or 2 early, just as long as your putting it into a secondary, and not bottleing. Regardless, Ill get out of that habbit.
So... what do you think? Beer still ok? I do have about a half inch of yeast cake at the bottom of my secondary already

Hmmm... thanks for the heads up! I've always heard that you can rack into the secondary a day or 2 early, just as long as your putting it into a secondary, and not bottleing. Regardless, Ill get out of that habbit.
So... what do you think? Beer still ok? I do have about a half inch of yeast cake at the bottom of my secondary already

It will be fine, leave it alone...

and next time get a hydromter.

Back