Yellow spots on the underside of hop leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howdyho

Reaction score
Hello!

My first post here, I've been brewing for a year now, but haven't posted yet on this forum so cheers :mug: !

I planted Magnum hops last year and had spider mites which destroyed most of the 1st year's yield :mad: So this year I decided to be more careful and look for these nasty bugs before they are all over the place. I found this on the underside of bottom leaves 2-3 days ago (Check pics below). Maybe I'm just being paranoid and this is just some random pollen or something else, but in case these are spider mite eggs what should I treat them with?

Also there are kinda dried areas of leaves too, I didn't notice mites yet, but I could have just missed those tiny bastards...

Whole leaf (bottom side) with visible yellow spots:

Part of the leaf with dry spots (bottom side):

Yellow spots under microscope (bottom side again) :

Same as above but top side of the leaf:

One more pic of area affected by yellow spots:

Anyone experienced something similar?
Thanks and cheers!

Those are lupulin glands. They're found all over the plant but are concentrated in the cones of the female plant. Unless you live where it's really hot, mites generally aren't a problem at this time of the year, look up their life cycle.

Indeed they look like lupulin glands, I wasn't aware that they can be found before the cones even appear. Thanks!

Continental climate with hot summers here, I had those bastards last year during peak summer (July/August) so for now, they shouldn't be a problem, but they usually start laying eggs around this time so I panicked.

For future reference, here is mites' life cycle:
Image42.gif

Back