Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I am using 1844 SAFAL US - 05. The question is I do not have a stir plate so after aeration can I just pour the yeast into my fermenter or do I have to make a starter? If I have to make a starter what is the best way to do that using just the yeast?

US-05 does not need a starter. Easier if needed to toss in extra pack. Just pour it into fermenter.

It is recommended that you rehydrate dry yeast. Mix the yeast with one cup of clean water at 100f and then let it cool to room temp and pitch.

Re hydrating yeast is not necessary either. Just dump it in. There has been shown no difference whether you do or do not.

Re hydrating yeast is not necessary either. Just dump it in. There has been shown no difference whether you do or do not.

Not true.....

According to Lallemand:

Why is rehydrating the dry yeast before pitching important?

Dry beer yeast needs to be reconstituted in a gentle way. During rehydration the cell membrane undergoes changes which can be lethal to yeast. In order to reconstitute the yeast as gently as possible (and minimize/avoid any damage) yeast producers developed specific rehydration procedures. Although most dry beer yeast will work if pitched directly into wort, it is recommended to follow the rehydration instructions to insure the optimum performance of the yeast.

And it is always done in winemaking also (same yeast species)

Hoppyending said:
Some do, some do not. Proof is in the end result. No difference.

As helibrewer said, rehydrate your yeast. If you don't, at least half of them will die. yeah, you could compensate and pitch double, but from what I heard that is not optimal. Rehydrating is easy, and you know your yeast will start out healthy and make you great beer, so why shoot yourself in the foot and not do it?

Any way you can, just get it in there! I`ve done dry yeast both ways, and actually prefer to oxyginate the wort well first in the fermenter (stir vigorously) then pour the yeast around the foam and let it set for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, stir it in and seal the fermenter. This happens to be Fermentis secondary recommended method, as pointed out earlier. I`ve had fermentation start within 1 to 6 hours using this method.Also I always add yeast nutrient, not sure if it matters but it`s cheap and it makes me feel better using it. :mug:

Quote: Safale S-05 instructions
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.
http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_US-05_HB.pdf

Back