yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
which is a better yeast liquid or dry??? my first all grain i used a slap yeast, but i have always used a dry yeast. What are the major differentances??

More variety with liquid yeasts but lower cell count so it's best to make a starter.

Dry yeast packets have a higher cell count so no starter is needed. A high quality dry yeast can make just as good of a beer as liquid. Some commercial breweries even use dry.

I use liquid when I can plan ahead and make a starter and use dry when I want to brew spontaneously.

What they said.

I usually use liquid because there is no dry equivalent to the yeasts I use most often, but Wy1056, WLP001, and S-05 are all the same yeast. If I want to use one of them, I will use S-05 because it's cheaper and easier. I certainly cannot tell the difference between them.

-a.

Wy1056, WLP001, and S-05 are all the same yeast.

Ditto. They are all the Chico strain.

Some complain that dry yeast doesn't start as fast but I have found them to be comparable.

My favorite thing about dry yeast: spending $3 to pitch a second packet instead of making a starter.

But, yeah, if you're brewing something with a strong yeast characteristic (Belgian, Saison, etc.), you probably won't find what you're looking for in a dry yeast.

Back