Yeast ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
Going to brew a couple batch's next weekend i have two white lab yeast that say best use before aug-1-10. They been in the frig the hole time.

Question number 1 = Can I use this yeast if i make a starter?
Question number 2 = If i get new yeast make a starter and use the old yeast with the new?
Question number 3 = Should i just use new yeast and get rid of the old

thanks for the help guys

My .02, make a starter in advance and see what happens. If there is no signs of activity, don't pitch it.

Step it up by making a starter let it set over night then make a other starter and do that a couple times right ?

Yes. But the first time, let it go about 24 hours or even longer. It'll be slow getting started. Then, you can add some fresh wort in a couple of days, and then again. You'll have a ton of spent wort, so you can stick the whole works in the fridge two days before brewday so you can decant that spent wort.

I'd make the first starter fairly small- just enough to wake it up and get some reproduction. Then make the "step ups" a bit bigger. Keep them all in the 1.040ish range.

Back