Yeast Washing - How do I get the good stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotspurdotus

Reaction score
New yeast washer here.

I have a nicely striated yeast cake I just washed this morning, chilling in the fridge.

IMAG0165.jpg

I'm brewing this evening and I'll be pitching this yeast. I understand I want the yeast (the white layer) and nothing else, but what's the best to ensure that? Decant the brown liquid, then slowly pour the yeast until I start getting too much trub? Should I use a utensil to scoop it up?

Thanks for any advice; I really don't want to mix all that stuff back up and have to wait until morning for it to settle again.

you gota stir that back up. wait 20 mins and then pour the liquid with yeast still in suspension off of the trub layer that will fall out first, then do it one more time!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/
that's a good thread explaining it with pictures!

edit: oh sounds liek you just wanna use all the yeast for one batch without starter.. so you would just do it once then cold crash it then decant the liquid

edit: oh sounds liek you just wanna use all the yeast for one batch without starter.. so you would just do it once then cold crash it then decant the liquid

Yes, I'm planning on using it immediately, not storing it.

I'm missing something, though. If the yeast is already separated, why would I need to mix it back up, even once? Shouldn't I just be able to add that layer to my wort?

Back