yeast vs OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSArider

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of maple brown ale today folowing a recipe I found online from BYO magazine. It called for dried ale yeast,kind of vauge, so I used a Wyeast American Ale smack pack instead. I pitched the yeast about two hours ago, and I already have activity in the air lock, a good sign I think. My concern is that the yeast packet says its good for an OG up to 1.060 and I had 1.070 at 65 degrees wort temp. what if any effect will this have on the final results?:confused: Will I end up with unfermented sugars and a too sweet brew when done, or will it just take much longer to finish? If it just takes longer, should I leave it in the primary longer, or rack to the secondary and leave it for a week or so longer? They give no target final gravity so I'm kind of in the dark.
Thanks

Ideally for a 1.070 ale you'd pitch three packs - or better yet, make a starter from a single pack.

With under-pitching, you'll likely hit the same FG you would have anyway, but with increased off-flavors and a slower fermentation. I definitely wouldn't move it for at least a few days after the gravity stabilizes.

Wyeast puts that on there for those NOT making a starter... I've pitched it into higher OG brews before... I will say that you'll probably have better results making starters for higher OG brews...

The yeast will still ferment as normal, going up to about 11% ABV, if your wort supports it (which an OG of 1.070 won't)...

I would leave it on the yeast for the duration... Zero need to rack to secondary unless you're getting off of one flavor element, and going to another. With a brown ale, that's probably not going to be happening.

Check the brew after 2 weeks on the yeast. Take a SG reading, and taste the sample. Do it again at 3 weeks... If it's getting really good, and the SG is stable (making it a FG) then leave it on the yeast until it tastes great... You can go MONTHS on the yeast if that's what the brew needs...

IF the brew tastes 'yeasty' LEAVE IT ALONE... Letting the yeast clean up while on the cake will get it tasting great much sooner than racking to a bright tank...

Back