Yeast Tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStache

Reaction score
I am making a 1 gallon batch of mead using the Lalvin ICV-D47 yeast and it says it has an alcohol tolerance of ~14%. The packet is also geared towards a 5 gallon batch.

I understand that the tolerance is due to it not being able to consume more than that much sugar for a batch that size, but if I am doing a 1 gallon batch is it possible for the ABV to reach a higher percentage?

how high the ABV will be will be dependent on OG. in a mead or wine, your FG will be ~1.000, unless your adding unfermentable sugar pre fermentation. the batch size doesn't matter here, and with most wines or meads, your ABV will be >14%.

The alcohol tolerance of a yeast is the yeasts ability to be active in a solution with that much alcohol. even if you have enough yeast to ferment a 5 gallon batch if that one gallon is more then 14% the yeast will usually poop out around 14%.

Latest posts

Back