Yeast to use for a Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthwestBrewman2013

Reaction score
I have been putting together a recipe for a Red Ale:

9LBS American 2-row
0.75LBS Crystal 40
0.15LBS CaraMunich
0.15LBS Roasted Barley

1oz Centennial @60
1oz Willamette @15
1oz Willamette @Flameout

I was thinking about using a Wyeast 1084 for this. Mostly to get it in that Irish style. But I was wondering about what other people had used for this type of beer?

I also have thought about Safeale-04.

I use Wyeast 1084 alot for my Irish Reds. I have also made an American Cousin with Pacman yeast, which was simply delicious.

I use Wyeast 1084 alot for my Irish Reds. I have also made an American Cousin with Pacman yeast, which was simply delicious.

Awesome! Is 4oz of Roasted Barley enough for this to have a deep red color (almost a garnet shade)? I've been going back and forth between 4 and 6oz.

Awesome! Is 4oz of Roasted Barley enough for this to have a deep red color (almost a garnet shade)? I've been going back and forth between 4 and 6oz.

I used three oz in an APA and got a great red color in a 11.5 gallon batch so if you are doing a 5 gallon batch with four oz you should be good

all the best

S_M

I use 4 oz for mine and it turns out like looking like this!

575095_10150763962522836_602038906_n.jpg

NorthwestBrewman2013 said:
I have been putting together a recipe for a Red Ale: 9LBS American 2-row 0.75LBS Crystal 40 0.15LBS CaraMunich 0.15LBS Roasted Barley 1oz Centennial @60 1oz Willamette @15 1oz Willamette @Flameout I was thinking about using a Wyeast 1084 for this. Mostly to get it in that Irish style. But I was wondering about what other people had used for this type of beer? I also have thought about Safeale-04.
I made a Ninkasi Believer clone (double red) & used WY1338, Northwest Ale. It was awesome!

So, I made some changes to the recipe:

9LBS 2-row
1LBS Crystal 40
0.5LBS Crystal 80
0.25LBS Roasted Barley
0.13LBS Honey Malt

1oz Centennial @ 60 10%AA
1oz Centennial @ 15 10%AA

1 Package of Mangrove Jacks 44 Ale Yeast (Dry)

Mash temp at 150 for 60 minutes.

Boil for 60

Cooled to 75 and pitched yeast.

Bubbling away right now at a comfy 64 degrees.

Does anyone know about Mangrove Jacks yeast? I've never used it before.

Hit a FG of 1.010. Which gives me about 5.3%ABV. Intial test of the brew before bottling gives a sweet malty mouthfeel with a hint of honey on the back end. The color is pretty close to what I wanted in this beer. Hopefully it carbs up nice and has good head retention and flavor after 3 weeks.

On another note. I was curious if anyone knew the easiest way to change grain amounts to increase efficency. For example, if I was making a IIPA with a OG of 1.090 and my normal efficency when doing this beer is 55% how much extra grain would I have to use to hit this target OG????

Back