yeast taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goat

Reaction score
I just checked an ale batch and it started at 1.062 and ended at 1.020; about 8 days, just finished, and taste very yeasty. Should I secondary it or let it sit? Any suggestions?

I'm no expert, as I am still brewing my first batch, but I think experts will want more information to help you out. First of all, what final gravity reading does the recipe call for? I think 1.020 is somewhat high and you're best bet might be to leave it in the fermenter longer.

The first question is, what recipe/type of ale are you making? Depending on the type of yeast, style, etc, the time to being done will vary alot. Having said that, 8 days is way too short a time. The beer is definitely green and will change over time. I now leave everything in primary at least two weeks to be sure the yeast finishes it's work. Some people on this forum just leave everything in primary, but I like to go to secondary for another 2-3 weeks or longer depending on the gravity and style. You'll keep hearing to have patience, but it's true that time is good to beer.

at 8 days, a ton of yeast is in suspension...it SHOULD taste kinda yeasty. its the reason you either go to secondary for 2 weeks, or give it a 3 week primary...then bottle. gets the excessive yeast out of solution, leaving you with enough to bottle carbonate though.

Back