Yeast subustitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choguy03

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing EdWort's Haus Pale Ale as my fist AG. He pitched Nottingham dry yeast, but my LHBS only has coopers. Would that be a viable alternative, or is there a different White Labs that I should use? Thanks dudes.

Well, Coopers and Nottingham are really completely different. You will still end up with beer, but it'll be different. Not bad different, just different. ;)

Coopers is much more estery than Nottingham, imparting more fruity flavors and aromas when fermented at the same temperatures as Nottingham. Nottingham is widely admired because it ferments very "clean"; that is to say, it does not impart much in the way of esters.

If it were my beer, I'd choose a fresh packet of Coopers over buying two vials of White Labs yeast of any type - because that's what you'd have to do, if you wanted a properly vigourous ferment and didn't want to make a starter. "Pitchable vial", my angry white male backside.

Let's look at it this way - Edwort's HPA can have some fruity esters in it. Pale Ales of any type, an estery profile is appropriate. So Coopers is a viable choice. Now, if you were brewing Edwort's Belgian Pale Ale (not that he's listed one; I'm just sayin'), Coopers yeast would be inappropriate, because it won't provide the right flavor/aroma profile. You dig?

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for the info. I will make a starter if necessary, but what do you recommend from WL. I was thinking WLP008-East Coast Ale, it says it is very clean and low on the esters. I am also planning on washing the yeast, so hopefully I will save some money down the line.

I'm sure most clean fermenting ale yeasts are a good sub, like wyeast 1056.

I may sound crazy, but i used yeast harvested from a sierra nevade pale ale. It may not even be the same one that they use for fermenting, but I am cheap. I will know in a few weeks how it turns out.

I may sound crazy, but i used yeast harvested from a sierra nevade pale ale. It may not even be the same one that they use for fermenting, but I am cheap. I will know in a few weeks how it turns out.

Yeah I would like to see if you suceeded too. I made a starter from bottles before too but did not use it. I chickened out. :)

my vote for Rogue Pacman!!!!!!!!

--------------------
|| * * * * * * * ||
|| * ||- :rockin: || * ||

Safale S-05 is what I would use if I had to brew it again without Nottingham; its a good yeast alternative IMO.

Safale-04 attenuates a bit less and flocculates better than the S-05. It also imparts a classic English, slightly fruity flavor to the beer, as opposed the cleaner flavor S-05 gives you. For an American Pale Ale, S-05 is probably the better choice, but I've used the 04 in several English beers, and it's my go-to yeast for those. S-04 wouldn't make bad beer by any stretch, but it wouldn't be quite the clean, crisp taste an APA tends to call for.

I tend to flip flop between wlp051 (California V) and wlp008 (East Coast) for all of my beers, I wash one cake of each every 6 months and that provides me more than enough for starters for every batch of brew that i'll make in that time period.

I used Safale 05 for my pale ale which is still in the fermenter. I used to use WLP001 but switched to dry after reading that -05 works so well as a sub for -001 (and the dry packet doesn't need a starter to boot).

- Eric

I just brewed this last weekend as my first AG, and used safeale s-05 since notty wasn't readily available. That's what i would recomend, cause thats what EdWort recomended on another thread.

Personal preference? Really, I dunno. Some folks have problems with dry yeast for some reason. I say, if S05=1056=001, why on earth would I pay more for liquid yeast which I must then culture with a starter? I'll spend the $2 on a packet of dry yeast, thanks so much. ;)

Bob

If i'm not much mistaken Safale S-05 = Wyeast 1056 = WLP 001.. so if they're all the same why wouldn't I just use the dry yeast all the time due to price?

http://www.brew365.com/yeast_us56.php

I don't think the dry yeast compares to the high quality liquid yeast.
I mean I will use dry if that is the only option but I just prefer the liquid.

WLP001 is my primary yeast for most batch's, *I* think it is the same as 1056. Very good for pale ales, IPA's, etc.
Next yeast I need to try is Cal V.

If i'm not much mistaken Safale S-05 = Wyeast 1056 = WLP 001.. so if they're all the same why wouldn't I just use the dry yeast all the time due to price?

http://www.brew365.com/yeast_us56.php

They are all supposed to be the same strain but most split batch comparisons I have seen generally yield slightly different results between the three. Personally, I have always been very satisfied with the performance and results of US05 that I haven't seen the need to look elsewhere when I am shooting for that type of yeast profile.

I went with WLP 001. I will be washing this yeast because I know it is a good one because it is so clean. Thanks guys. :tank:

I don't think the dry yeast compares to the high quality liquid yeast.

This is a very controversial statement, but many people are starting to form/accept the opinion that it does, indeed, compare as long as it's the right dry yeast.

S-04 and US-05 are gaining quite the reputation, especially around here. Fermentis WB and others... not so much.

I'd use the US-05 and be done with it. Cheap, dependable, and if you wash your cake and save it, you can get a gajillion batches out of one $2 pack, bringing your yeast cost down to something like 10c a batch.

Back