Yeast substitution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Hello,

So I really want to make this recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/hop-juice-imperial-ipa-24919/

But I had a question about the yeast.

I only have a handful of brews under my belt, and so far I only have experience with dry yeast. The above recipe calls for liquid yeast with a starter.

What would be some effects of changing the yeast on this recipe from liquid with a starter to dry? I would most likely rehydrate the dry yeast as well.

Can I swap the liquid for dry or should I just wait to make this until I am read for liquid starters?

Thanks for any advice/help.

Use a pack to a pack and a half of US05 its basically the same strain

Ninja'd by Yooper, what's new

What would be some effects of changing the yeast on this recipe from liquid with a starter to dry? I would most likely rehydrate the dry yeast as well.

Can I swap the liquid for dry
Yep, Safale US-05 would be a good replacement. Flavor differences should be minimal :mug:

Some people don't, but the manufacturer recommends rehydrating so I would say do it.

Can you pitch it dry sure. But it takes minimal effort to rehydrate the yeast and you will get a better cell count doing so. Always rehydrate imo.

Put 4oz (per packet) of tap or spring water in a clean microwave safe container (I generally dip my bowl in star san prior to filling) Heat water to 85-95 degrees. Sprinkle yeast on top of water and cover loosely with sanitized foil do NOT stir. Wait 15 minutes. Stir in the yeast wait another 15 minutes then you are ready to pitch it should look creamy at this point give it a swirl before pitching to loosen. Don't leave your yeast sitting for too long I usually do this pretty close to flame out as the process of getting my beer from the stove to the carboy takes about 30 minutes. If you are topping off save a little of your water to rinse any clingy yeast off your funnel or out of your bowl.

Here is a video: They have a few different suggestions for temperature I think they are defaulting to the US-04 directions. http://youtu.be/SL92Bd4kfbQ

How about for this recipe:

yeast: "Dry English Ale" WLP007
1.5625 lbs Special B 147L
8 lbs Amber DME

1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Chinook (45 min)
1 oz Chinook (15 min)
1 oz Chinook (0 min)

How about for this recipe:

yeast: "Dry English Ale" WLP007
1.5625 lbs Special B 147L
8 lbs Amber DME

1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Chinook (45 min)
1 oz Chinook (15 min)
1 oz Chinook (0 min)

That's a lot of Special B. I would cut down to one pound, unless you are really familiar with its flavor and that's what you want.

User light DME instead of Amber. At 147L, you'll get plenty of color and flavor from the Special B.

English yeast, Belgian crystal malt, American hops... Should be interesting.

Back