Yeast Substitution WLP090

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dockside_Brewing

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a dry substitute for White Labs WLP090 Super San Diego yeast? I am not confident in my starter and I am brewing tomorrow.

In my experience 090 isnt terribly different that us-05 flavor wise if you are just looking to swap out the yeast.

I almost only use 090 and have used 05 in a pinch a few times. It is definitely not the same but I'm not sure of anything else that is closer, dry yeast is pretty limited.

I almost only use 090 and have used 05 in a pinch a few times. It is definitely not the same but I'm not sure of anything else that is closer, dry yeast is pretty limited.

I appreciate the info. I made the starter but did not see a lot of activity. I put it in the fridge for a few days and took it out tonight. I may just give it a shot. I am brewing a honey blonde ale in the morning.

I appreciate the info. I made the starter but did not see a lot of activity. I put it in the fridge for a few days and took it out tonight. I may just give it a shot. I am brewing a honey blonde ale in the morning.

Take a gravity reading. You may not have seen activity or notice a big difference of yeast in the starter but that does not mean it didn't work. A gravity reading should tell you all you need to know assuming you pitched a proper amount of yeast to reproduce in the starter.

Also- I always leave my starters in the fridge for a week and sometimes two and I have yet to have a fermentation issue.

Does anyone know of a dry substitute for White Labs WLP090 Super San Diego yeast? I am not confident in my starter and I am brewing tomorrow.

The obvious alternatives are US-05 and BRY-97 - US-05 is possibly a bit closer genetically, BRY-97/WLP051 is closer phenotypically. Ditto WLP515 Antwerp if you ever come across it, it's a Vault/seasonal.

Take a gravity reading. You may not have seen activity or notice a big difference of yeast in the starter but that does not mean it didn't work. A gravity reading should tell you all you need to know assuming you pitched a proper amount of yeast to reproduce in the starter.

Also- I always leave my starters in the fridge for a week and sometimes two and I have yet to have a fermentation issue.

I’ll second this. I work with wlp90 for most of the beers I brew and have taken an old pack (ca. 30B cells remaining) and pitched into a 1.030 1.7L starter. I let it stir for 24 hours (visible increase in cell density was observed), split into two 1- quart ball jars, cold crashed both. On brew day I decanted and pitched the yeast cake from one of the jars (ca. 130B cells) and it tore through a 1.059 wort at 65-68F over 5 days.
Hope this helps!

Also, WL staff has described 090 as quasi-bottom fermenting. I have seen this myself -- very little starter krausen. But check the gravity!

The best indicator that your starter has worked is the change in colour. If it''s changed to a pale creamy latte colour then it's fine.

Back