Yeast substitution on AHS kits, should I use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zackb911

Reaction score
I got my 2 All-Grain kits from AHS the other day and was planning on brewing this weekend but just noticed niether came with the right yeast.

I got a Stone IPA and Arrogant bastard kit, somewhat expensive kits at $41 and $44 respectively. The IPA called for double pitched Safale US-05 and the AB double pitched Nottingham. I received Coopers dry yeast for both. :(

I really don't want to make 2 pricey batches which I've really been looking forward to be less than what they could/would/should be.

Should I hold out for the right yeast or use the Coopers?

Thanks!
Zack

I HATE Coopers!!! I wouldn't recommend using it. I have never gotten a complete attenuation out of it. normally drops off at 1.020. I personally would wait for the correct ones or got your LHBS and pick them up (assuming you have one)

:tank:

I agree. Don't use Coopers. You can exchange US-05 for Nottingham and vice-versa, but Coopers is NOT a substitute.

I think they subbed it because Nottingham is running out all over the place for some reason. If you think you can get better results, go find different yeast. Even safale would probably be better.

I think they subbed it because Nottingham is running out all over the place for some reason. If you think you can get better results, go find different yeast. Even safale would probably be better.

What's the deal with no one having it by the way?

:tank:

Sounds like a no-go on the Cooper... Sucks because that was $7 in yeast got substituted in and now I may have to take an hour and a half out of my day to go to the LHBS, put off my brewing, and spend more money :( I would have rather waited for the right thing i.e. what I ordered.

not happy...

Nottingham famines seem to hit every year. At least they have for the least three.

Cooper's is a medium attenuation yeast, not a good idea for big IPAs. On the other hand, the woody, fruity flavors it can produce might be interesting. I'd find some 05 and stash the Cooper's for a Brown or Red.

Zackb911, I'm heading up to the Union Brewhouse [on Washington St right near Rt 18 & 53] this Friday night. I have a couple 11g packets of Nottingham I have sitting in the fridge that I don't really plan on using. If its convenient for you, I don't mind giving them away - just buy me a beer or something. Let me know if you're interested.

the AHB arrogent bastard is a great recipie. i was in their store recently and notcied they limited the amount of yeast and hops one could buy in a visit but i would immagine they made a good substitution

substituting a dry yeast packet for a vial or smack pack doesn't seem like a viable substitution... give em a call and I'm sure something can be worked out... if even it is store credit.

I'm in the same situation, my shipment arrived late yesterday and I was ready to brew my first AG. They didn't send the US-05, it says it's on backorder. I originally wanted nottingham but that was out of stock. I'm calling them when they open, when I ordered it was in stock and now it's not, they could have notified me before shipping.

Personally, I would see if I could find two packs of US-05. IMO, they are the only dry yeast I would use for these two beers. You really only need one pack per batch if you properly rehydrate the yeast.

I had the same thing happen with my recent AHS order. They subbed Cooper's for the Notty in their Apricot Wheat kit.

I picked up two packets of Safale US-05 just to have on hand. Would a packet of that be a better choice than the Cooper's?

Thanks,

-Joe

Personally, I would see if I could find two packs of US-05. IMO, they are the only dry yeast I would use for these two beers. You really only need one pack per batch if you properly rehydrate the yeast.

Agreed...another example of why it's a good reason to have a few packets of dried yeast in the fridge for backups.

FYI, I just called AHS and they have the US-05 now and shipped mine out on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll have it tonight.

ordered a Texas Blonde for AHS a month ago. Same thing, Coopers instead of Nottingham. But the Coopers performed pretty well on the blonde...

Back